Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Fish choice question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sheila DeHart
Username: quinndehart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:28 pm:       

I now have 4 tanks, one 55 gal. community tank with swords, mollies, platies, tetras, and corys, two 20 gal with fancy guppies, and the 5 gal. I started with a couple of years ago. The only fish in the 5 gal. are two fat, aggressive spotted corys that used to be in the guppy tank until I figured out that they were the reason I wasn't seeing any fry. Now, because I'm crazy, I would really like to add something to the 5 gal. for some color and interest. Tank is too small for angels. Any suggestions on a fish that could be happy in a 5 gal., and could get along with the fat spotted corys?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6665
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:31 pm:       

sheila, a 5 gallon tank is on the small side for housing much more fish than you've already got in there. tetras would certainly 'fit', but they're schooling fish and need some swimming room. a school of 6 is the minimum for tetras (neon sized) for normal behaviour and your tank will not hold that many.

you might consider a betta .. any more than that and i think you'll have crowding issues to contend with.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

I would say a male betta like dan said . I have mine in a 55 gallon with 5 coreys and some other fish includeing female bettas.

you might want small plants as well

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 256

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:21 pm:       

I've kept white clouds in a five with corys. They're easy on the environment in the tank, and add some color.
Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9560

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:59 pm:       

Personally, I'd trade the corys in on the betta. They are social fish and belong in groups of 4-6 or more, and don't belong in 5 gallon tanks. It's an inadequate home for anything much more than a betta with maybe an ADf or snail or a couple shrimp.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Sheila DeHart

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:17 am:       

Thanks to everyone who replied and all the good advice. I am going to need to hold off on the betta for a while as I have several new batches of guppy fry and will need to put some in the 5 gal. to make room. Curious as to what Cindy said about the corys, though. I knew they were happier with a buddy, but didn't know they were considered schooling fish. I have two jewel-eyed corys in my 55 gal.; if I put the spotted corys in there, would the two sub species school together? Or do I need to get a couple more jewel eyes for that tank? Would I be better off putting the spotted corys back in one of the guppy tanks for a while?
Brian, could you give me a short list of pros and cons on live plants? I've avoided them up to now b/c I use the gravel vaccuum pretty regularly.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:07 am:       

Sheila I can answer 2 of the questions I have 3 different corey’s in my tank and they pretty much stick to the sub species although they some times work together

Now for plants if things are going right they breath out oxygen and breath in co2 it is reverse for fish. so there is a nice cycle also live plants will help with algae, , live plants give cover for fish , and some fish need plants to breed. if you ever want to breed a betas floating plants for bubble nests and java moss for cover help a lot.

The only draw back for plants is it makes vacuuming harder but with corey’s they help
And if you don’t have good info they can get expensive.

You can easily maintain plants with out expensive lighting and co2 injection as long as you have a nice balance.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:23 am:       

and also the toxins from fish waste the plants can use for a food source so it helps a lot with the fish living

Joe C

Post Number: 272

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:49 pm:       

Hi, Amber, and welcome! Check out the fish profiles and fish charts on this site. They'll help you see what types of fish will go well together, and which ones might have special needs or problems which could affect their ability to be in a community. You'll also want to note the eventual sizes that each type of fish will grow to in order to know whether or not they'll fit in your tank 2 years from now.

I suggest identifying a favorite fish you want to have in your tank, and then building a community to accommodate that fish. Once you come up with your plan, post it in this section under a new thread, and get some input to see if the folks here think it will work.

Joe C

Post Number: 274

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:06 am:       

The preceding is an answer to a question that got moved. Just didn't want y'all to think I was daft!

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:12 am:       

In one tank I used to have (20L I think), I had 3 different cory breeds and they all hung out together. They were a tolerant and diverse group of corys! It was cute. There is a chance that both of your types will hang out together . . . at least some of the time.

I'd move them to your 50g and see what happens. Being corys, the worst that can happen is they ignore each other . . . unless your two spotted corys (julli possibly) have a rare mean gene? Never saw any cory get mean, unless attacked . . . then watch out attacker!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Sheila DeHart

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 06:47 am:       

Thanks again to all that replied. Moved the two spotted cories to one of the 20G guppy tanks for now; moved a handful of guppy fry to the 5G. Have new swordfish and molly fry in the 55; will consider adding a few more Julli corys to that tank when the fry are bigger.
Will hold off on the betta as well until I have most of the new fry sorted out. Could I interest anyone in some fancy guppies?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Fish choice question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration