Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Tiger Barb       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

David
Username: bigwave

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:06 pm:       

I recently moved, and having lost most of my fish a couple months ago (mentioned in an earlier thread), I had an empty tank last week.

It is a 29 Gallon heavily planted tank.

I added 3 otos, and didn't hardly see them for the first two days. Then my friend was going to get rid of a couple 'bully' fish in his tank, and offered them to be before flushing them.

They are approx 2" long, one Tiger Barb, and one male Platy. The tank is much livelier now. The barb and platy leave each other alone, and the otos are MUCH more active. The barb hangs out with them sometimes, and is just cutting through the plants the rest of the time.

I went to our LFS wanting some more barbs, as I would like at least 6 of them. The barbs there are only 1" and I worry they will be picked on. The LFS lady agreed, and said I should get German Blue Rams instead, as they will hold their own against the barb if he harasses them.

Do you agree or disagree with her info? I personally am a little bit worried about the rams with the barb, and still think I would like to try adding a largish school of smaller barbs with the current one.

Thanks for any advice!
David

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9554

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:57 am:       

Odds are your friend did not have a proper school for the barb either. Without it, the barb will seem like a bully, with it, he will either quit or the aggression will be spread out and not noticed by them. They will catch up quickly in size and eventually you won't even know which one he was.

If you like the platy, you could get two to three females for him. He'll mellow and the females will provide your barbs with some nice snacks, and something to do besides harassing each other...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

David

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:01 pm:       

Cool, thanks Cindy.

That was my original plan, so I will work that direction.

-- David

David

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:00 pm:       

Ok, I added 8 more barbs. A few pics:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/142/62368.html?1142545190

Also, to feed them I have been soaking some shrimp pellets, and then break them up a little, and pour the whole bit into the tank. As it sinks down I get a little feeding frenzy.

I have also been taking a pinch of flake, and submerging it before I let it go. That way it sinks down, and the barbs get it also.

Should I be doing anything different? These really are my first non-top feeders.

-- David

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9604

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 06:45 am:       

8 at once? Test your water and watch for ammonia and nitrites and be prepared to do some extra water changes if you have a minicycle.

Just checked out the pics and it that is a 29, they must be small barbs, so that is in your favor. The live plants will help, too. Maybe you won't get a small spike. They look very comfortable in your planted tank, and I'll bet the "bully" is too busy to "bully" any more...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

David

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 06:52 pm:       

Yes they are small(5 of them are about .5"). I will be checking for a spike, but I think with all the plants I will be ok.

I have only seen one 'fight' but there has been plenty of little nibbles on each other. Keeps the tank interesting!

Thanks!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Tiger Barb       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration