Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Am I feeding my fish correctly       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:25 pm:       

Hello All
I am curious if I am feeding my fish correctly.
I have coreys, tetras,flyingfoxes,females bettas,rams, male betta, rtbs,angel and a dwarf guarimie in a 55 gallon well planted tank.

so far i feed them once or twice a days depending on the ammount of food i give them and one or twice a week i give them frozen blood worms.

I was reading about boiling some veggies or some real live food. also i am confused on the ammount of food to give them as the bigger fish will some times eat more then they need before the smaller fish get there. and some fish eat latter then others. also the bottom feeders get last choice.

all of this confuses me they fiah seem happy now but i want to avoid issues before they happen

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6674

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:01 pm:       

true bottom feeders are best fed with foods that sink quickly to the bottom. moreover, most bottom feeders are nocturnal and should be fed after the tank and room lights have been out for about 30 minutes. this will allow them the time and unbothered chance to feed .. when the daytime feeders are busy going to sleep.

twice a day is about right ... no more than the fish can eat before much of the food hits the tank bottom. it's normal for larger, more aggressive fish to grab the food before more docile species get a chance to get to it. that's why the most optimum stocking doesn't include the type that take over the food and space thereby causing stress on more docile types.

in other words, big aggressive species don't go well with smaller, docile types.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:26 pm:       

i like to feed my fish 2-3 times a day only as much as they consume within a couple minutes at most ,dry food usually in the morning since they seem most eager to eat them ,and after and evening frozen shrimp/krill/blood worms and i usually have live tubiflex around as well so dry frozen fresh lol but not always in that order and not always 3 times most times less
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:58 am:       

what kind of special food do you make for fish i herd cucombers and spincihe but which fish like those? also what live food for the meat eaters assuming my collection of fish has a meat eater or 2 in there

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1386

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:29 pm:       

Baby brine shrimp, live bloodworms, blackworms, daphnia, and there are probably more but those are the only live foods I can think of at the moment. Oh, very small fry like guppy fry or something.
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3886

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:56 pm:       

Brian,

In addition to the great insights and info above, here is link to a related topic that may interest you:

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/stories/chat/chat_4-30-04.html

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 01:43 pm:       

Don't bloodworms (and some other live or freeze-dried foods) increase the chance that a parasite will be unleashed on your tank?

I'm still re-learning, but I had seen that somewhere . . .
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3887

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 01:57 pm:       

Live foods? Yes (depending on source and collection methods). Freeze dried.....little chance.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 09:54 pm:       

What you are doing is fine. You may want to occasionally drop a sinking algae wafer for the cories, so they aren't always just getting the leavings. And they love them.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:09 pm:       

thanks bunches all this is such a great site and my lfs is such a great person he is forver teling me to stop wasting money and trying to get me to get only what i need him abd yall are makeing this hobby really work for me
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Am I feeding my fish correctly       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration