Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Nematode or something else?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:15 pm:       

I have my wee little dwarf frogs in a 5gal tank; it's a new tank but was set up using the filter and water from the 2.5gal they were in. No substrate; I use a turkey baster to suck up the waste from the bottom. It also has 4 anubias (3 nana, 1 small glabra) tied to rocks or shells.

This morning I was sucking up the waste when I saw an approx 1cm long 'worm' (very thin like thread) swimming diagonally from bottom to top. I was unable to capture it w/ the turkey baster and now I can't find it.

Admittedly, I've probably overfed the froggies the last few days; I'm trying to get them used to eating from a bowl and was luring them there w/extra food (good news is that it seems to have worked).

Is this worm something I need to be concerned about or will stepping up the cleaning routine and reducing feeding take care of the problem?

Thank you.

Lisa
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6686

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:52 pm:       

it sounds like nematodes. they likely hitchhiked into your tank on a plant and overfeeding provides them with something to eat. better tank maintainance will get rid of them but in any event, they're not pathogenic.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Nematode or something else?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration