Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Question regarding absence of ammonia in new tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Joan
Username: alwayslearning

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:37 pm:       

I am attempting to cycle my new 55 gallon tank. I began setting it up eight days ago. At that time I put in some new gravel, the treated water, and from my established 20 gallon tank twelve live plants, a rock, and a cave decoration. The next day I put in ten zebra danios that I got from my lfs with the understanding that I can return them after the tank has cycled if I like. The fish are doing great. The question I have is in regard to the test readings. I have been testing every day for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I figured that these would all test at 0 for awhile, but should I be getting an ammonia reading by now? I had thought that I might put in some filter media from my established 20 gallon tank after the ammonia starts rising, but I guess there's no need for that yet. I have been testing for ammonia with an API test kit that uses the solution drops and also with a Jungle brand that uses test strips. Both tests show ammonia at 0 every day I have tested. The nitrites and nitrates are being tested with the strips from the Jungle brand kit. The nitrites have always tested at 0. The nitrates are showing a reading of somewhere between 5 and 10. What should I do--just wait and keep testing? Can my tank cycle without an increase in ammonia? Is it uncommon for the ammonia to still read 0 after seven days? Should I expect it to start going up, and if so when?

Garrett
Advanced Member
Username: happiegilmor49

Post Number: 1167

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:58 pm:       

With nitrates it sounds like it cycled somehow. There *may* have been enough bacteria in all the stuff you moved over to cycle it. You can put a clip from the 20's filter in.
I <3 the mods!
especially that loachy JP

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:59 pm:       

Joan-- What are the nitrates at coming out of your tap? If they read zero you may have achieved one of those miraculus instant cycles. Keep track of the readings for the next week at least.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8383

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:10 pm:       

plants will consume low levels of ammonia. given the bio-load that may be where it is going. A planted tank will sometimes make the "cycle" process transparent to the fishkeeper. The bio-load in that circumstance should be increased slowly.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Joan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:37 pm:       

Thanks to all of you. I just tested my tap water, and it tested 0 for nitrates. I was wondering if the plants, rock, and ornament from my established tank might play a part in what is going on. Would it make sense to put some filter media from the established 20 gallon into the new tank at this time or should I wait another week or so to see what happens with the ammonia?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8386

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:38 pm:       

if you are accumulating nitrates then the bio-filter is working. i would keep watching it and if adding fish, add slowly.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9603

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 06:40 am:       

The live plants, rock and cave decoration from your established 20 were very likely coated with nitrifying bacteria, as nearly every surface was in that tank, unless you wiped them off before putting them into your 55.

to Badman's and

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:45 pm:       

i know on the recent setup of a 10 gallon Q tank i took 2 of my old filter media from my whisper 60 emptied out the carbon on them and wrapped them on the new filter for the 10 gallon a whisper type filter i never had any ammonia or nitrite reading but the tank was producing nitrate i also added fish immediatly after i had it running
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Joan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:29 pm:       

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not it would be beneficial to add any of the filter media from the 20 gallon to the 55 gallon at this point? It sounds to me as if it is probably not necessary, but I was wondering if it would serve any useful purpose. Also I am trying to decide when to begin adding the fish currently in my 20 gallon to the 55. I guess I need to decide such things as in what order, how many at a time, and over what time period. There are 10 zebra danios in the 55 at this time, and I haven't decided whether to return them to my lfs or not. I wouldn't mind keeping some of them, but I don't want my new tank to be overcrowded. At this time I am not planning on keeping the 20 gallon tank running after I get all the fish in it moved to the 55. These are the fish that I will be moving to the 55: 3 albino corydoras, 3 brilliant rasboras, 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 cherry barbs, and 1 white cloud mountain minnow which I inherited from a friend. I would eventually like to bring each group up to at least 5, but I believe this might be too many if I keep any of the zebra danios. Also the danios seem a little fast for the rest of the fish. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Plazma

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:59 pm:       

I would add the filter media it certainly cant hurt and it will only benefit as i stated i like to do the same to help establish the needed bacteria .
I would remove the carbon and just use the media,i think if you kept all the zebras the tank overtime will become crowded and it would certainly cause a mini cycle adding so many fish at once,i would take half the danios back perhaps add your current media minus the old carbon and of course,dont be suprised if you do see a mini cycle but you might be okay but you definatly need to remove some of the danios adding all your old fish even with the old media will cause a small cycle at the very least.
Just my 2 cents i'm sure you will get more qualified answers then mine .
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Plazma

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 03:50 pm:       

Sorry wanted to make myself a little clearer lol add your old media from the 20g minus the carbon ,and of course keep your new media you have going the the 55 now ,i wrapped my old media around the new sponge filter in the Aqua clear i was using.
Albert Einstein

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 07:02 pm:       

Joan why not just put your old filter on the 55 and run it in tandem with the new filter for a few weeks. Then you can add everybody to the 55 at once.

If you were planning on returning all the danios do so IMHO. To often we start with one plan for a tank then change it mid stride which quickens the on-set of MTS.

Joan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 08:51 pm:       

Thanks for all the great advice. The tank has been going for eight days now with no buildup of ammonia or nitrites and with a nitrate reading of 10. Should I start the weekly water changes now or wait until the nitrates rise a little higher?

Joan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:02 pm:       

I'm leaving this on the same thread so that you can read the history of this tank. I am continuing to test the water every day. Today the readings are the same: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 10. I haven't done a water change yet because the levels have been o.k., and I was thinking that I could wait until the nitrates get somewhat higher. Now I think that I should probably go ahead and do a change because I believe I've read somewhere that there are other harmful things that could build up over time. I would like some suggestions, though, about how much water to change and how much to vacuum the gravel.

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:45 pm:       

Change 50% of the water each week at a minimum. When my life is flowing smoothly I try to change out 100% a week. As to the gravel vac, vac as much gravel as you can before you hit the 50% mark. Just stick the vac into the gravel and suck until it runs clear.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Question regarding absence of ammonia in new tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration