Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Consolidating fish tanks - suggestions?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amy
Advanced Member
Username: amy

Post Number: 1044

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:06 am:       

I have a 29 eclipse with thread, beard, and maybe even other types of algae. see this post: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/18/53014.html?1142563154

it currently has 4 yoyo loaches (the snail problem is gone), 4 female bettas, an amano shrimp and 2 otos. I would like to add a bn pleco or siamese algae eaters.

I also have a 20long eclipse with 3 emerald cories, 2 otos, a ghost shrimp and a male betta. I'm looking to consolidate into just the 29 (to move my goldfish into the 20) and am wondering which fish (in addition to the male betta) I'd need to find new homes for.

I'm thinking keep the female bettas plus the yoyos or the cories plus the shrimp. then add either the sae or the bn pleco...

suggestions?

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1045

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:15 am:       

would the otos and either the cories or loaches be able to tolerate the 68 or so degrees with the 2 fantail goldfish?

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:26 am:       

personally I have 1 male betta and 4 females in the same tank. depending on your fish and if you have lots of cover he might be able to fit in there.

otos are sensitive i would not try it. Coreys seem to be hard core never tried 68 degrees though

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1047

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:31 am:       

could probably get the tank up to 70 or 72...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9620

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:37 am:       

I would rehome the male betta, or get him his own tank. Regardless of how many times Brian posts that he keeps them together in his 29, you will find dozens of people that have tried that in tanks much larger than his and failed for every one exception like his. It isn't a good idea to promote something based on one anomalous outcome.

I would keep the fan-tails at 74o, alone in the 20, very temporarily. They will need much larger accommodations soon and it really isn't a good idea to keep any other fish with them in a tank that small. Plan on 50% water changes at least twice a week.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:03 pm:       

sorry cindy I was told that what i have was normall sort of i would not lead some one wrong

btw it is a 55 gallon and lots lots of places to hide

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 03:31 pm:       

could I at least put in some shrimp or something else to make it look more active?

If I can find time to test it for water tightness and a place to put it, I have another 29 I'd like to move them into and add a black fantail.

If I got the tank up to low 70's, could the cories go in? they're more of cleanup crew and provide activity than the poopers that goldfish are... aren't they? and with the eclipse filtration...?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9626

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:38 am:       

Brian, your profile says you have only one tank, so you ought to consider updating it. From the best of my recollection, and a quick search, in less than a month you have moved them from a 2.8 to a ten (that you broke) to a 29 to the 55. You have posted so many different tank stockings and details, including the bettas in the ten with a RTBS and angel, I can no longer keep track of where you have any of them. I am not going to even try any more.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the impression, advice or info that it was a good idea to keep them together? Every betta book or site I've ever seen gives the same advice we do here, only put them together - and even then only temporarily - when spawning. Here is one example, scroll more than halfway down, just below setup #7, to the section labelled "about housing female bettas" and read the second paragraph, as well as the "idiotic set up #2" just below that:

http://bettatalk.com/housing.htm

Here are a few more like it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-22%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=% 22keeping+male+and+female+bettas+together%22&btnG=Search

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 02:25 am:       

i had a 2.8 for my betta at same time as a 10
i moved most of th fish from a 10 to my 55(never had a 29) broke th 10 now al my fih are in my 55.

in betta talk.com the woman says she has 2 males and females in a tank cause they were family.

als on this site a person had a 55 gallon tank and was asking if he could put a female in it and he was giving advice with that tank and cover with plenty of other fish she would be fine.

I am hosestly not trying to argue just posting what i have.

I will update my profile

much love and happiness cindy

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9630

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:10 am:       

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=16&post=172326#POST17 2326

...plus you just suggested that Amy could do it in her 29.

Not arguing either, just trying to show you that you have posted a lot of conflicting info in the month since you joined.

I would just like to see the links to your posts, the context they were posted in is significant and memories are imperfect. With very few exceptions, it is a bad idea, and yours have been together less than a month, and you have gone up and down from zero to one to three females in that same time. I had a hard time believing they ignored each other in the ten, but kept my mouth shut, assuming you either had a long-finned female, or someone else could be the bearer of bad news, or you would find out soon enough.
It would be better if you accumulated a year's successful experience with one of those set ups before posting advice that it worked for you, and even then report the details under which you had success, and point out that it is an anomalous anecdote, instead of posting nearly every week that they "can be kept together" in general. I just gave you links to dozens pf sites that it is a bad idea, some in very uncertain terms. Since you have less than a month of annecdotal experience, what links do you have to support your suggestion?

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:21 am:       

I was planning on a 29 but i was told here my rtbs would not like it so i went to a 55. I can find links but will take a bit. If it is a question of my integrity I start work tomorrow i will buy a camera and take a picture for you.

the set up says 2 males cant stay together this is a male and 4 females(well 3.5 one is really small)
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:49 am:       

I cant find the thread yet and I have t go out I will look for it tonight.

Amy; obviously, Cindy has a lot more experience then I do maybe I got lucky and i have a relaxed male betta or maybe it is Huna if I say some thing and Cindy says different go with her.

Cindy you are more then welcome to send me a pm or e mail next time I had no idea I was being offensive i was only posting what I have

Lots of love to all
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:02 pm:       

Amy-- Just looking over your posts and a couple of things:

1) remember tropical fish NEED the warmer water. While Goldfish NEED the cooler water.

2)Snail problem not gone just under control (Voice of experience here)

There are a couple of ways to go here:

Idea 1:
4 yo-yos (I would actually replace with zebras they are smaller yo-yos really need a 55 minimum)
4 otos
4 SAEs (If you can get true SAEs)
1 male betta
1 ghost shrimp
1 amano shrimp (These guys will end up as loach food eventually)

With this set up you could not add smaller shrimp like cherries (expensive loach snack)

Idea 2:
6 emerald cories (You'll need to buy 3 more)
4 otos
4 SAEs (If you can get true SAEs) or 1 BN
4 Female betta
1 ghost shrimp
1 amano shrimp

With this set up you could add smaller shrimp.

Of cours you could always just find a new home for the goldfish. THis way you can set up like this:

29:
4 yo-yo loaches
4 female bettas
1 amano shrimp
1 ghost shrimp
4 SAEs
4 Otos

20 long:
3 emerald cories
1 male betta
small shrimp of your choice

HTH
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:33 pm:       

well I finally was able to find an affordable bn pleco today - added it into the 29 with the 4 betta and 4 yoyos... we'll see if it's as good at eating all types of algae as people say...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Consolidating fish tanks - suggestions?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration