Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Cleaning questions       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:19 am:       

I have a couple questions about water changes/tank cleaning...
When I add the water conditioner, is it instantaneous, or so you need to wait? The label says it will neutralize chlorine/chloramine, tells how much to add, says nothing about time to wait (if any)?

Second, I have seen 'mixed messages' about changing the filter cartridge. On the box it says every 2-4 weeks, on the Badman main site it says monthly, but I have also been told by fish store guy that as long as it is rinsed out regularly*, it can last a couple of months. (* there is a separate bio-wheel for the good bacteria dudes to live in- that I was told to never rinse or replace)

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6698

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:04 am:       

is it instantaneous, or so you need to wait? yes, it is instantaneous.

told by fish store guy that as long as it is rinsed out regularly the question is, i suppose, what is regularly. there's no clear cut answer since it depends on your stocking density, your feeding quantity, your water chemistry.

as long as you've got that biowheel supporting the most significant concentration of your biofilter, then rinsing your filter cartridge should be done when you feel the water flow is being reduced by the media in the cartridge becoming clogged.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3906

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:38 pm:       

molly,

Dan pretty well summed it up. Here is a link with an alternative solution to replacing those expensive cartridges. :

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/27480/43171.html?1094009601

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 07:20 pm:       

Thanks for the tip, that is excellent...those cartridges are so expensive, I am going to try out this method!
One part of that link confused me..."Carbon is a very purposeful media and is not needed to run in your filter all the time" Does that mean I should sometimes have carbon in there? If I do the batting/rubber band method, do I stick carbon inside, or could I make a little pouch of it (maybe in a piece of nylon stocking??)and put it in the filter? Also if yes, how much, how often?

(soooo excited not to have to buy those cartridges...more money for the fun stuff!)

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3909

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:20 pm:       

molly,

"Purposeful" in the removal of tannins, phenols, and many medicines from aquarium water. But guess what? Weekly partial water changes perform the same thing.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Cleaning questions       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration