Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Need some help       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amber
Username: emmy2006

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:40 pm:       

Hi everyone, I am getting a 55 gallon and i found some fish that i am interested in getting but i would like to know if they can be in the same tank together. They are bala sharks,neon tetras,fancy tail guppies,tiger barbs. Thank you to all that answered the last posts that i had out. I am sorry to the other posts that i did i didnt know that i needed to start a new thread i hope that no one is offended thank you all again

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 213

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:18 pm:       

Hello Amber. Welcome to Badman's. A fifty-five gallon is on the small side in the long run for bala sharks. They are very active swimmers, grow very large(around 12"), and do best in groups. It could work for them in the short term, though. I just recently upgraded to a 135, mainly to accomadate my sharks.

I would also be careful mixing tiger barbs and guppies. They tend to be aggressive towards fish with long fins. A proper school of the barbs may help to keep their attention on one another and alleviate the problem. In my own experience, when I tried to put male guppies in with my rosy barbs, their tales where torn to bits. Rosys are usually considered the less aggressive of the two species as well.

Keep researching and asking questions. I'm sure you will be able to find a great community of fish for your tank.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 276

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 07:33 pm:       

Hello again, Amber. I doubt you've offended anyone, because asking questions is one of the primary reasons for this forum, and the folks who respond here love this hobby and are here to help.

William is right about the bala. If you want a shark for a 55, I suggest you look at rainbow sharks or red-tailed sharks. A 55 can support only one (without warfare), but they make a nice addition. I've got a rainbow in mine.

If you want a shark and tiger barbs, realize that you are putting together an active and somewhat aggressive community, and look for quick moving fish who can stay out of trouble. If you want to go with guppies, build a peaceful community, and be prepared for lots of babies (fry), 'cause guppies are the fish equivalent of rabbits. And as William noted, those beautiful, colorful tails will disappear into the mouths of fin nippers like barbs.

Eliminating the balas, since they are too large for your 55, which of the four fish you list is your favorite?

(PS Don't start a new thread. Just respond in this one and let it grow)
Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)

Amber

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:28 pm:       

hello,thank you two for responding that really helps out i really would like to have the guppies and the neon tetras. but i really like all the fish that i have seen pictures of i wish my house was bigger so i could have a lot more tanks but i dont think that would work out that well with my husband i am lucky to be getting the 55 gallon i would like to have angelfish too but i read that they are aggressive im still gonna research and what not i think i will be getting my tank this coming week so i have time to research if you have any suggestions at all please keep telling me its really helping me since i found this website thanks again

Joe C

Post Number: 277

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:35 am:       

Amber, if this is your first tank, you'll want to read up on the nitrogen cycle and how one goes about "cycling" a new tank in order to establish the bacteria needed for your biological filter. Here's a good starting point...

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/start_up/start_up4.html

Cycling is done generally in one of two ways. The most common method is to set up the tank with a small number of hardy fish. As these fish produce waste/ammonia, the presence of that ammonia promotes the growth of the nitrifying bacteria, and in 4-6 weeks, a biological filter is established. Of course, in the interval, water quality in your tank is poor, hence the need for fish capable of putting up with crummy conditions. The most commonly used fish for this type of cycling is the zebra danio. Neither guppies or neons are very good at this, so you don't want to cycle a tank with them. Add them slowly after your tank is established.

The other method of cycling is fishless, and although I have never used it, many on this site advocate it. Here's a link on that process...

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

Read through the Basics section on the main page. You're going about this smart, Amber, so keep it up!

Amber

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:14 pm:       

hi thank you for the imput i am getting my tank tomorrow im getting it sooner than i thought i think that i am going to the fishless cycling thank you so much keep the info coming

Joe C

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:41 am:       

Have fun, and keep us posted! By the way, the first time you fill your tank is the best time to get an accurate measurement of how much water it will contain. A 55 won't hold 55 gallons. By the time you add equipment, gravel, decorations, and plants, you'll take up a lot of space. Combine that with the fact that you won't fill it to the brim, and you'll be surprised at how much less than the rated capacity your tank will actually hold. Remember to include the capacity of the filter (mine holds about 3 quarts). It will take a little longer to fill the tank this first time if you're measuring the water as it goes in, but knowing this real capacity figure will help you in the future on water changes and fish load.

Amber

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:51 pm:       

hi everyone, i got my tank set up i will have to take a picture so you all can see it. going to get my fish this weekend thank you for all the help i will still be asking alot of questions i will have the picture soon for all to see

cathy
Username: cathys

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 09:54 am:       

I thought you were going to do fishless cycling?

Amber

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:00 pm:       

hi everyone, i was going to the fishless cyle but i changed my mind i have 5 fish that i added to the tank i was so excited that i couldnt wait to get my fish so i decided to go with the fish cycling i have researched and done my work on it so i will learn as i go but i still would like to have any input from any one that wants to give. picture coming soon i will still be coming for questions and advice so thank you all so much

Joe C

Post Number: 289

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 07:53 pm:       

Hi, again, Amber. Congratulations on the tank!

Okay, you've decided to cycle with fish. Now, there is a most important word which you need to concentrate on and live by for the next 6 to 8 weeks. It's the word PATIENCE. The cycling process takes time, and until it's done, you should not add any more fish. In fact, I recommend staying away from the fish store so you won't be tempted. Be patient, and allow your new tank the time it needs to cycle and establish its biological filter. The folks on this site deal daily with new aquarists who load their tank with fish before it's ready. The result is usually stressed, sick, or dead fish. You've done your homework, Amber, so use what you've learned, and we'll get to hear about that tank of yours for many years, see lots of pictures of the fish that live in it, and see you go from asking questions to giving advice.

Amber

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:16 pm:       

hi joe thank you, i have a question for you. should i have two filters? the under gravel filter and the one that comes with the tank? I have both but was just wondering. Hope you can help Thanks Amber

Joe C

Post Number: 292

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:52 am:       

If by "the one that comes with the tank" you mean an over-the-back filter rated for at least 60 gal, then I would use that alone and not use an under-gravel filter. The over-the-back will do all you need at this stage, without some of the headaches associated with under-gravel setups.

But just to be on the safe side, Amber, what exactly is the filter that came with the tank?

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 827

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:48 am:       

Theres been quite a few debates on this forum about ugf's,if you have one absolutely use it and your hang on or canister filter.Having the two filters makes for a more stable biofilter.
The fish you have been talking about(ones that dont dig)are ideal for a tank with a ugf.
On the other hand if you are using sand substrate,planning rooted plants,or decide on fish that like to dig dont start with an ugf.
Waiting will fill

Amber

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:14 pm:       

hello, the filter that came with the tank is the over the back filter we have the under gravel filter too just not running it. my fish are doing great and the tank is great i love it i should have gotten one along time ago . i have one of my fish that doesnt like to swim much i think it is a she. she hides behind the castle that i have in there. Plus i have already had a female that i know have babies on sat. but i didnt know that she was pregnant.or that she was a female so i didnt have a net for her to have them in they have been hiding in the rocks. but i dont know how many she had. so things have been pretty interesting thanks again for your input if you have any suggestions for some of the things in here let me know. Thanks again

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 850

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 08:13 pm:       

Its not a good idea to leave ugf in the tank not running,you get buildup under the plates,bad results.Im guessing it has 4 lift tubes,you could get a large air pump to run all 4 tubes if you use splitters,if you dont want to spend the $ on powerheads.
Waiting will fill

Amber

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:51 am:       

Thank you for the input i will do so9me checking into that i have to go to the pet store this weekend and pick up some stuff . thanks again for the input any other comments are always appreciated.

Amber

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:04 pm:       

hello everyone, I got the pump for the under gravel filter and its working great the tank looks so clean. i still have to get the picture for everyone to see i am working on that. I am so glad that i decided to get a fish tank it is so relaxing i cant get enough of it i love watching my fish swim thank you all so much for this site}

Amber

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:02 pm:       

hello i have a question. One of my mollies is pregnant she gave birth 3 weeks ago and is ready to do so again i have her in a breeding divider and she can see the other fish in the tank but she wont spit them out how can i keep her calm and giving birth to the babies so she can be out and about with the other fish in the tank? we have one survivor from the last bunch that she had and that one seems to be doing ok we have that one in a divider too to keep it safe from the other fish since its the only baby that we have left. Hope someone can help thanks so much.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Need some help       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration