Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Lost a new neon       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

cathy
Username: cathys

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:14 pm:       

Hi all. Thanks to advice from some of you, I thought my tank was cycled a couple weeks ago. I have a 20 gal tank, did fishless cycling, never saw a nitrite spike, but I ended up with nitrates of 10 and my ammonia was going to 0 quickly. I bought 6 neons a week ago. They did really well. Weird - finally saw nitrites. They went over 1.0. Nitrates were 7-8 and ammonia 0. I did a 50% water change, next day nitrates down a little, maybe 6, nitrites the same and ammonia 0. Today I bought 4 more neons. I floated them for 20 min, then put my tank water in their bag and floated them for 15 min, then poured them into a net over a bucket and added them to my tank. I watched them for about a 45 min and everyone seemed fine. All 10 neons were schooling. A few hours later, I came to check and one was almost gone. He was kind of swimming straight up and kept turning over. He went to the bottom then, nose to the gravel. So, I euthanized him.

Just checked my numbers. Nitrites a bit lower about .5 to 1, ammonia might be a hair over 0 but not .25, nitrates are less than 5. I noticed my water temp had gone up to 80. I always had it at 78. I don't know why that happened.

Questions - why are my nitrites spiking now? Why are my nitrates going lower without a water change? Is that okay? And what did I do wrong adding the 4 new neons?

Lots of questions. I'm worried now. Thanks for the help.

cathy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:51 pm:       

I have another one started to swim funny now.

Is anyone out there? Help!!

Joan
Username: alwayslearning

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:24 pm:       

Cathy, when did you do the last water change? What kind of water conditioner did you use at that time? Did you change a filter cartridge? I think I would do another partial water change.

Joan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:28 pm:       

I also meant to add that I would be more concerned with the nitrite reading at this time than I would be that my nitrate level has gone down to less than 5.

cathy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:32 pm:       

I did the last 50% change yesterday. I used Chlor-Out by Wardley. Got it at Walmart. One of the guys on here told me to get a plain chlorine neutralizer, no additives.

Yes, I am concerned about the nitrites, although they did go down a bit now. But maybe that's what the new guys from the pet store couldn't handle.

Joan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:42 pm:       

Chlor-Out is what I use too. It neutralizes chlorine and chloramines. I would continue with that if I were you. When I first started with fish ten years ago, I tried neons but never had any luck with them. Either they just weren't right from the store or they didn't like my water conditions. Do you have any idea whether the ones who have started acting funny are from the first batch or the second one?

cathy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:49 pm:       

I have no idea. They are so small and fast. I have trouble just counting them! I have a bunch of stuff in the tank for them to hide behind and that's exactly what they do when I approach.

Hey, does the air pump help or make things worse when there's a problem?

Joan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:53 pm:       

I don't think the air pump would hurt at all. I'm just not sure how much it would help. I always liked using one in my 20 gallon, but I'm not sure if I will be using one in my new 55 gallon tank.

cathy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:53 pm:       

You know, the guy at the pet store got 4 in the bag and then traded one out because the one didn't look good. I guess right then, I should've said - nevermind and left the store! But that's where I got the first 6 who seemed to be doing great.

cathy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:01 pm:       

Thanks, Joan. The one little guy is hanging in there (if I'm counting right). I should've started with less stuff in my tank - I didn't realize they would hide so much.

I'll check back in the morning.

Joan

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:01 pm:       

It is quite possible that they were already sick. Do you see anything obviously wrong with the way they look? Does the store you bought them from have a policy regarding refunds or credit for fish who die shortly after you buy them?

cathy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

Hey, we posted at the same time there. I don't know enough to know if they are sick. Maybe the red on a couple of them aren't as red. Yes, I got them at Petsmart and they have some kind of 14 day policy.

Joan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 06:49 pm:       

How are your fish doing today, Cathy, and how are your water stats?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Lost a new neon       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration