Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Chinese Algee Eater not eating Algee!!!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Michael Skurnik
Username: djsdad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:05 pm:       

We have a 10 gallon tank, well established with 3 catfish, 1 small frog, 2 tiger barbs, a shark fish and a chinese algae eater (the newest at about 6 weeks in the tank) The CAE did well eating what algae we had, but now just hides under a rock, not eating! Help please!!!!
Thanks

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2184

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:43 pm:       

just drop in some algae tabs and other assorted bottom feeder tabs and he will be just fine. my concern is for the CAE and the "shark". they will get far too large for a 10gal tank. you may be witnessing behaviours from the CAE based on the size of the tank already!
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

Mine eats the spriulina (algae) wafers, shrimp pellets, even fallen fish food. I find they eat when the lights are out too. Maybe he is finding it hard, being new, since there are 4 others eating off the bottom too (catfish and frog)...I am sure someone with more experience can say if this is anywhere near right...just what I have seen myself. Like Michael said about tank size: they do get big and mean!
This may help...
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile47.html (read the comments people have posted too!)
(there is probably a link on there too about the shark)

I learned the hard way, these guys get big!!! Got them a year ago, before I found this site! They look so innocent when they are 2 for $1.99 and 1" long...mine are now about 8"+ long, and I have arranged to send them to a friends 150 g. They need the room! They are like a torpedo barreling through the tank (a 38g) and smashing into anyone who gets in their way! Even the neons get dragged by the current they make. When they were new and little they hung out with everyone, now either whip through the tank, or sit in their caves spying on everyone...
I say trade him in for a couple of algae eating shrimp- way more fun, and less dangerous!
(unless some more experienced person out there thinks that will be too much for a 10g?)

Michael Skurnik
Username: djsdad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

They will be going into a lager tank in June. The "shark" is doing great and the CAE was doing fine the first week we got it.....

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 391

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:11 pm:       

How much larger of a tank and what kind of shark?

If you're talking red tailed black shark or rainbow shark, you could get away with one in a 30 gallon tank, though minimum 55 is ideal.

If you're talking about an irridescent or bala shark, unless you'll be getting a 250 gallon tank they will be too large (irridescents can get to 12-15" and the balas can get up to 18")

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 341

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:26 pm:       

...i keep thinking that iridescent's (hate spelling that word) grew larger than bala's...Not sure why it just always came to my mind that way.

Pangasius sutchi can hit around 40inches cant they? .. Though i think thats just in the wild.
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 393

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:07 am:       

Rob, you may be right. It's entirely possible that I got them switched around. Either way though, both species get way too huge for a 10 gallon tank.

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 213

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:47 am:       

I'll second Molly b's idea of trading the shark and CAE for some algae eating shrimp.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Chinese Algee Eater not eating Algee!!!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration