Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Tiger Barb Tankmates       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

David
Username: bigwave

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:00 pm:       

I have 9 tigers, 3 otos and 3 platties.

I was thinking I need to pick up something to take care of pellets that drop to the bottom without being eatten. There are not many, but enough that I have to vac them out on a semi-regualar basis.

Would a small group of panda cories survive in this crowd?

29 gallon with plenty of plants.

Thanks for you opinion!
-- David

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:04 pm:       

I would not go with the panda cories. They are to peaceful. I would suggest going with a group of 4 to 6 zebra loaches. THey are active and quick. They should have no problem holding their own with the tiger barbs.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 282

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:08 pm:       

Oddly enough, although they are supposedly mid to upper feeders, my gold barbs love eating off the bottom, and clean up anything left over. Plus, gold barbs would be a match for your tigers.
Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:38 am:       

I have albino tiger barbs, and they eat off the bottom. I haven't had much problem with aggression, except at first. They leave the cories alone.

Snow Dog
Username: kodiak

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 10:11 pm:       

I've got 8 Tigers and 2 Juliis and have never had any type of problem. I think any Cory would fare fine with TB's.

David
Username: bigwave

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:58 pm:       

Thanks for the responses.

Mine do chase each other around, but haven't bothered anyone else.

Most of the food is getting eaten, I also think the otos are actually cleaning some of it up.

I'll start looking for cories, however I was also thinking of khuli loaches. Anyone kept them with tiger barbs?

Leonard S
Username: mufasta

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:04 am:       

I have a 37 gallon with 2 tigers, 2 albinos, 1 green, and 2 rose barbs. For the bottom I have 2 zebra loaches. Tank is very clean on the bottom when I vacuum once a week. The loaches are more than fast enough for the barbs. Actually one of the loaches, the bigger which is 2+ inches, goes after the barbs more than the other way around. The smaller, about an inch, just cleans away and no one bothers him.

To add to what others have said, my barbs usually hit the bottom to eat in between feedings. And on the opposite end, the larger loach goes to the top to eat. All are still growing and some food does hit the bottom, but Id rather underfeed slightly than overfeed. Has kept everything balanced so far.

Kyle
Username: mr_bean

Post Number: 289

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:08 am:       

With so many tigers it seems to me like they would stick to chasing eachother around. You might be able to get away with cories, but you'd have to watch them carefully.

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:17 am:       

Also, if you do go for cories, make sure they have some caves or other hidey places to retreat to should the barbs decide to give them a hard time.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Tiger Barb Tankmates       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration