Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * First post and in need for help!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Johan Sttroner
Username: johan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:43 pm:       

First of all hello everybody and thanks for this site, it's great and it has a lot of useful info!.
I've been lurking for a while trying to educate myself in the acuatic world before start posting, but I've been running into problems with my aquarium, and since many of my fish are dying, I couldn't wait any longer to request some help.

I have a 55 Gal. Glass aquarium, two powerhead Aqua-Tech filters (each supposedly for 60 Gal.), enough gravel for the size, some artificial plants and two 18" air curtains.

Originally, I had two golden fantail goldfish, two black moors, two spotted fantail goldfish, two shubunken (sorry for the spelling), two koi and two plecos, all of them really small, like babies.

Right now I have One orange fantail, one shubunken, two Koi, two plecos, all the rest have died in three weeks.
The only symptom I've been able to see, is that they (those about to die) rest on the bottom of the tank for a couple days, and one day *puf* they are dead. It looks like they are breathing a little harder than usual, but no physical damage (at least something you can see).

The ammonia on the tank is 0.5 I don't have a nitrite / nitrate test kit. The temp is 76 and I can't get it any lower than this, it's Florida and the weather is hot!.
I've been doing water changes, not frequently because some of the articles say that those changes delay the cycling procedure.
Is this a normal consequence of the cycling process, or there is something else going on with my tank?.

Regarding to feeding, I feed them with sinking pellets (tetra), and I feed them slowly little by little for two minutes one time a day, so I can watch that no food is left on the bottom. Twice a week I give them freeze dried brine shrimp.

The fish I have right now, they have been holding quite good for the past week, but I bought a big comet, and he didn't want to eat, that was on the past weekend, today, I returned from work and he is resting on the gravel and breathing a little faster!!!.

And at last, I would like to know why on earth my fish only stay in the lower right side of the aquarium, they have so much space to explore, but they just stay there!!!.

Well, I know it's a lot, but I hope you can give me some help, I'm confused and don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help!.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9667

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:22 pm:       

How long has the tank been set up? I assume it is less than two months, and still cycling.

You got a really nice set-up for your first tank...too bad we can't all start off with your tank! Even starting out with a 55, you needed to stock lightly initially. You didn't, and lost a number of the fish already. Don't replace them, now or after you are done. A 55 that is fully cycled is an adequate home for only 4-5 GF the first year, 2-3 the second year, and not big enough for a forever home for even one. The round bodied GF like your fantail and moors will get a foot long, too long to turn around easily in a 55. Commons, comets, shubunkins and the plecos will get closer to to two feet long, and the koi to three feet long. Koi need ponds and should only be stocked at a rate of one per 1000 gallons.

Even if water changes slow your cycle a bit, you don't want to kill your fish, so start doing 30% water changes every other or every third day, and do a 50% water change every time you see the fish laying on the bottom. Alternatively, get some BioSpira ASAP and add half immediately and the other half 3-4 days later. Or get some used filter media from a healthy tank and put it into your filter.

Actually, is that a UGF powered by 2 power heads? If so, you have no media, no mechanical filtration, just the UGF and lots of aeration. That won't work with GF, koi and plecos. All are poop machines.

to Badman's, and

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Johan Sttroner

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:50 pm:       

Hello Cindy and thanks for your prompt reply.

Indeed the tank has only 3 weeks, I will start inmediately with the water changes, I don't want to cause any harm to my fish.

For water preparation, I use Tetra brand for all my chemicals, I have Tetra Aquasafe and Tetra Easybalance. The powerheads have on the inside 2 big cartridges each (4 total), with carbon and a blue material. They also have two separate cartidges with some fiber supposedly to grow the Good bacteria.

I'm trying to include a snapshot of the tank, I hope I will be able to upload it (crossing fingers).

Thanks again for the help and I will keep you updated with the status of the fish.

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 337

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:52 pm:       

Temp seems a bit high for GFs, and the 'stiiting on the bottom with a fast respiration rate' sounds a lot like ammonia poisoning, keep those water changes coming, and as cindy said don't replace the dead fish, its natures way of telling you your tank is over stocked.
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

Johan Sttroner

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:57 pm:       

This is my tank

The filters on the outside

The filters on the inside, the white fiber says: BIO FIBER - DO NOT REMOVE, so I'm taking it it's like the bio-wheel... right?, or do I need one anyways?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8431

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:07 pm:       

in addition to water changes you really need to get the nitrite and nitrate test. Those numbers would be really helpful to know.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 339

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:14 pm:       

You dont 'need' a bio wheel... you can get one, it wont do any damage to the water quality.
It's probly a good idea given the fish load...

Nice lookin tank though. Goodluck.
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:44 pm:       

Did that tank come from Walmart?

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:28 am:       

Well i think there is no need with a biowheel ,if you had no filter system at all the sure go buy one but from the look of your tank you have 2 hob and they are more then enough for your 55 gallon.Get some test kits nitrite nitrate ,ammonia being important that way you can judge your water changes while the tanks is trying to cycle.Get a gravel vac and make sure you clean the gravel sucking up and leftover food and poop will help as well when your doing your water changes.
Good luck and nice looking tank hopefully thing will work out soon for you
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * First post and in need for help!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration