Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Sponge over HOB filter intake?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:44 am:       

For those of you that use a sponge over your intake (prefiltering? Is that the right term?), what sort of sponge do you use? I have a Penguin bio-wheel filter, if that makes a difference. I've seen the Hydro sponge filters but didn't know if there was a less expensive, more easily accessible, and still sufficient option.

Thanks.

Lisa

Anthony
Username: bigant

Post Number: 35

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:50 am:       

I have an aqua clear with a sponge, all I do is rinse the sponge every couple of weeks and have not needed to replace yet (just about 7 months old now), but if I do need to replace it I will buy the one made for it. My penguin bio wheel has blue cartridges with charcoal inside which filters waste which I change every four weeks and rinse halfway through (I have messy fish).
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6751

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:55 am:       

i don't use or recommend a sponge over the intake unless you've got baby fish small enough to get sucked into the intake. in my opinion, a 'prefilter' such as you're talking about only clogs the intake sieve and slows down the water flow. this in turn reduces the efficiency of the filter.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Lisa Blair

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:03 am:       

Dan, thanks. I'm trying to prepare to get some shellies (multies, most likely). The holes in the intake are *definitely* big enough to suck in babies; I even lost a couple of my guppy babies to it before they became lunch. In this case, would you recommend that I go ahead and see if there is a hydro prefilter made for the Penguin?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9729

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:05 am:       

I don't in my multi tank. Just use the shortest length of intake it comes with. Mine draws water in from the middle of the tank and the babies are always on the bottom, never more than an inch or two from the shell. Even the adults never move up from the substrate, except momentarily at feeding time.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8455

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:53 am:       

i use a sponge over the intake on a powerhead in a planted tank. the point being to keep some of the plant debris out. it creates more work in the long run because they clog with stuff and provide a great place for algae growth. i stopped using a sponge over the intake on an hob filter because of that.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Lisa Blair

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 09:47 am:       

Thank you all for your input. Would you suggest one for a juli tank? I know that julis like to have a little algae around, and I thought maybe the fry could snack on it?

OR perhaps I should consider adding a separate sponge filter in a corner for this purpose and leaving the intake alone?

OR maybe a rock with some java moss would be even better? I was trying to avoid the moss since it's not biotopically appropriate, but if it works for the fish, I suppose that's the most important.

Sorry for all the questions. I will likely start with shellies, but I'm very interested in the julis, too (so many cute dwarf cichlids out there!) and hope to get a pair eventually. I want to be well armed with info.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 594

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:05 pm:       

In my endler's livebearer tank I just let some of the java moss get stuck on the intake (penguin) so the babies aren't sucked in.
A sponge filter could work too;)

Anthony
Username: bigant

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:26 pm:       

Sorry about my first answer, I was half asleep and misread the question. It depends what you want. If you want to slow the flow the sponge would work, but if you are just looking to keep stuff out of the holes I have use cheesecloth and a rubber band.
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 831

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:11 am:       

I slipped a sponge over the intake in a fry tank but only as a temp measure.For the long term if you want a sponge filter just use one with a powerhead.No point in prefiltering a hob filter unless youre just keeping fry out of the intake.Ive seen more than a few breeder tanks with sponges as the only filter
Waiting will fill

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:29 am:       

I plan on using the prefilter sponge over the filter intake. Fry are typically delicate and need to be maintained more often so the debris that may build up on the filter shouldnt bother me and removing it will be part of the maintenance.
http://bigalsonline.com/search/?collection=sitebuilder%2Fcatalog3-1&type=catalog &keywords1=sponge+prefilter&method=all

I havent done it yet, the others have.....I would be more inclined to follow their advice. I may end up saying the same thing..!!??!?!
I may end up using these things on all my tanks as a method to slow the water flow....time will tell. Just wanted to share my
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9749

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:21 pm:       

Any adjustments to flow rate would be better be done on the the exit side, instead of the intake side, to avoid shortening the life of the moter.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Lisa Blair

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:15 pm:       

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. While I know those of you suggesting I go w/o the sponge are usually right, I am also paranoid. So, I think I'll try to compromise and go with Anthony's cheesecloth idea or Kelsey's java moss idea. I think both of these will keep the fry out w/o significantly decreasing the flow or encouraging algae growth. I may ultimately go with the powerhead/sponge filter, but for right now, the Penguin will have to do. I do, as Cindy suggested, have the shortest intake on it so it draws from about mid-tank.

Now, all I have to do is get the shellies (have to decide between Similis and Wauthioni - decided on these over multis for now) and rehome the guppies.

Thanks again!

Lisa

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3965

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:54 pm:       

Lisa,

While fish can certainly surprise us with those accidental spawns in a community tank, I like to take on a different approach. I dub it 'purposeful breeding'. If you expect to get a pair or pairs of Julies, then why not just set your tank up for them? The tank doesn't have to be filtered with something that is likely to snatch up fry. If resources are limited in the filtering department, them Cindy's recommendation is a good one. I've bred thousands of these critters and I can attest that they do not do a lot of venturing up in the water column while in a young fry stage. They will pretty much stick to the lower levels unless you have large rock piles and/or caves that are high up in the water column.
Restricting the intake on any water pump will do it good. Especially with Java Moss which will most likely get it's strands pulled up into the impeller assembly

Ok, have to get back in to edit. Are you getting Julies or shell dwellers?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Lisa Blair

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:26 am:       

Hi, Russ. I'm getting shell dwellers now (well, not *now* - when I've got the tank ready and my brain ready ). They will be in a 10 or 20L species only tank.

Eventually, I'd love to get a pair or two of julies - not sure if I'll try breeding them or go for a larger community tank. I'm going to see how I do with the shellies first. If I'm really lucky, maybe I can have a community tank *and* dedicated breeders! Oooh, I love to dream.

In your breeding experience, have you used the HOBs and sponge filters? Do you have a preference? I worry about the oxygenation of the water *and* the bio-bacteria, as well as getting enough water circulation from the sponge filters. All I know about them is the little I've read.

Which species of juli (it is julies?) do you breed?

Thanks for your advice. I guess I should get over my paranoia, huh? OK, naked intake it is.

Lisa

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:02 pm:       

Cindy, point taken...my latest water flow control device is a flap of scrap background thats attached onto my powerfilter's lid. It fits nicely between the glass and output and stops the water from pounding into the tank.

OK so I wont be using sponges to slow water flow...but I still may use them to protect fry. The higher intake idea is most likely the best. Overly concerned parents with no experience are a bit reluctant to trust that idea.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Lisa Blair

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 01:25 pm:       

flyingfish, I have a piece of the plastic canvas used for needlepoint attached to my power filter. The water runs down that and it really helps cut the pounding and the noise if your tank isn't filled all the way.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Sponge over HOB filter intake?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration