Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Messed up tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

shaun pruitt
Username: neon_little

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:43 pm:       

Hello, I have a 10 gallon fish tank i have had it for two years and the water is cloudy and i now getting green i have searched and found nothing the tank i out of sunlight i feed my fish twice a day and have vacumed the tank every weekend for bout a month i also change the filter and i cant find whats wrong i have tested the water and it was all fine accept it was a tad hard i have mixxed comunity fish in my tank and i have lost 2 fish in the past few weeks please help URGENT!!

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:51 pm:       

Hi shaun and welcome to Badmans. A couple of questions to better enable us to help you:

1) What type of filter do you have?
2) What do you mean by you changed the filter?
3) What are your exact readings for Ammonia, NitrItes, and NitrAtes? Fine and great don't give us the needed information to help you out.
4) What kinds of fish do you have and how many of each kind?

Once we have all of this information we will be able to steer you in the correct direction without a lot of guessing.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

shaun pruitt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 02:13 pm:       

1. aqua clear 20 bio max
2. I change the filter, carbon and bio max reguleraly
3. nitrate , safe : nitrite, safe : total hardness, hard : total alkalinity, moderate : ph freshwater, neutral
4.my fish are kissing fish 1, spear tetra 2, neon tetra 1, and fuit tetra 2. thats all of it

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 361

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:05 am:       

first - to badmans.

With the test readings its better if we could get something numerical, as in ppm etc.

I feel like a turd saying it but the kissing gourami grows to large for a ten gal tank and the tetras really should be in schools of 6 or more and only one species would be best. They'd also prefer more swimming room than a 10 can provide.

If you dont mind me asking but if you've had the gourami for two years how large is it?
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

shaun pruitt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:52 pm:       

i had 6 neons but they died my tank is having big trouble and i have only had the kissing fish bout 2 months i do have another 10 gallon in my garage all i need is the heater and light hood. but back to the kissin fish its bout 2 inch's long i would say. now for test numbers ::: nitrate,20 ::: nitrite,0 ::: total hardness,25 ::: total alkalinity,80 ::: ph-fresh water,7.2

cathy
Username: cathys

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:54 am:       

You talk about changing your filter, but have you actually changed any water? Your nitrates are high. I think you need to do a 50% water change. Don't forget to dechlorinate the new water.

And, you're not supposed to completely change your whole filter all the time. You need to keep your good bacteria around.

Maybe someone else will chime in on advice on the filter.

Kyle
Username: mr_bean

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:09 pm:       

*cough* punctuation *cough* *cough* Regular water changes would be a good idea, also the fruit tetras are a dyed fish and most likely wont live long anyway due to the stress put on them by this process. (just in case you've lost any of those that could be the problem.)

As far as your filter goes, you don't need to change the filter every time. When you cycle your tank you get rid of the bad bacteria and introduce good bacteria, however if you keep changing your whole filter then the good bacteria leaves and you launch yourself into a mini-cycle. Try just doing regular water changes and letting your tank STAY cycled.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1357

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:46 pm:       

To keep the filter clean you just rinse it in the old tank water that you have removed from the tank.

When it gets so dirty it just doesn't come clean, then replace 1 part of the filter, say at least, 2 weeks apart. I use an aquaclear, and don't purchase any ready made inserts. I bought a bag of polyester floss from wal*mart, and every 2 months or so, I discard about half of the floss, for a new clump. The bag was $4 canadian, and will last me as long as I can keep my daughter from making more pillows
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Messed up tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration