Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Hard water question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Denise Smith
Username: stellag

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 01:01 pm:       

I'm just setting up a new 20 gal tank & when I tested the water it was very hard & had a slightly high ph. Any tips for softening the water, or should I just go with it & buy fish that like hard water? Any & all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm very new to this....

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6759

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 01:50 pm:       

your water is probably fine. you didn't mention how hard it was nor what you consider slightly high pH but i'll tell you that the majority of fish out there won't care as long as you acclimate them when you instroduce them to your water and keep the parameters stable.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Denise Smith
Username: stellag

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:12 pm:       

The pH was 7.6 and I'm not sure of exactly how hard. I used one of those color change tabs that you dip in the water & the reading was in the Hard-Very Hard range. I was thinking of starting with a few zebra danios and possibly later adding a couple dwarf gourami. Any other suggestions?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6760

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 03:00 pm:       

your ph is just fine. starting with danios is good .. very hardy fish. dwarf gourami's can be ok as well, though some turn out to be territorial and chase each other all over the tank.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Hard water question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration