Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Gourami + Barbs?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

David
Username: bigwave

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:27 am:       

Will a Male Dwarf Gourami be ok in a tank with 9 tiger barbs?

My wife really misses our old Gourami, and I would like to bring her one home some day. He would add a nice splash of color anyway!

PS - Title is supposed to say Gourami

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 415

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:41 am:       

How big is the tank? Also, what else is in there?

The Dwarf Gourami tend to be quite peaceful and placid, and I don't know how well they'd fare against tigers. One of the three spot varieties of gourami (opaline, blue or gold) are 'tougher' than the dwarfs and would probably do better with the tigers.

David

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:46 am:       

29 gallon, 9 barbs, 1 Platy (2.5" long).

No one bothers the platy, the barbs pretty much stick to themselves. I was hoping the same may be true of the Gourami?

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 417

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:47 pm:       

Well, all gouramis are slow moving fish, which tends to be a problem when mixed with barbs, especially tigers (they are pesky little buggers). The dwarf gouramis are slow moving and placid, which isn't a good combination when they'll be mixed with tigers. If the tigers decide to pick on him he may not fight back and could end up dead. I suggested one of the three spot gouramis because, while they too are slow moving, they will stand up for themselves if they're being pestered and the tigers would hopefully get the hint to leave them alone.

I should qualify this by stating that I'm not basing this on exact first hand experience, but rather on what my sense of logic says.

For your benefit, and that of others who may happen into this thread, I'll explain my thinking. In my 60 gallon tank I have 6 each of rosy barbs and gold barbs, and there's also a paradise fish in there. All barbs are similar in that they can be nippy, though golds and rosys tend to not be as bad as tigers. The paradise fish is related to the gourami and is also similar to them. It's more similar to the 'toughter' three spot varieties than the more placid dwarfs. When I added the paradise fish to the tank the rosy barbs were pestering him at first. After a day the paradise had enough and would return the favor, so to speak, to the barbs. Now, the barbs pester themselves and they completely leave the paradise alone.

My inclination is that a similar situation would play out with the tigers and a three spot gourami. Of course, I will defer to someone with better, first hand experience.

Hope that's helpful for you.

David

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:01 pm:       

Thanks for the personal experience. That always counts more than just web research!

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:49 pm:       

I agree with everything John D said with one exception. My two three spot blues do usually laze around most of the time, but when they are startled or "angry"(I guess a fish can be angry) they can dart just as fast as any other fish in my tank. This includes rosies, balas, clowns, and danios.

Also a full grown three spot will be quite a bit bigger than your tigers, so I would recommend giving it a shot. However, I would keep a close eye on your tigers behavior in the first few days.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Gourami + Barbs?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration