Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Arcadio's questions...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.
Username: asincero

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:09 am:       

I seem to be having the same difficulty keeping fish alive as Robin. I'm new to this hobby myself, but I've been reading up as much as I can. Last night, I saw one of my larger silver mollies hanging out by herself in the back near the surface. She also didn't seem very hungry. Having lost a number of fish since I started this hobby, I knew this was a sure sign of impending death for this fish. Sure enough, this morning I saw her laying on the gravel. She was still twitching, so I woke up to check on my tank right at the moment of death .

I'm starting to get frustrated too. I have quite a number of baby fish in the tank now, and all of the adults seem to be happily swimming around. I thought the tank was finally doing well, and that my days of dying fish were behind me, and now this happens. The fish that died seemed perfectly healthy, physically. No fin rot. No cloudy eyes. Wasn't underweight. In fact, she was pretty huge for a molly.

I did a water test last night. Ammonia and nitrites were both at 0. Nitrates were at around 10. And pH was about 7.6. Water temperature is at around 78 degrees F. All of these parameters seem perfect! So I haven't a clue. I did a 50% water change about 10 days ago. I guess I'm due for another change, but since the nitrates are pretty low I don't know if I should do it because I also have 6 amazon sword plants in the tank and plants like nitrates. For the record, the plants are also not doing as well as I'd like. At least they're not dying (yet).

I observed another silver molly acting lethargic and disinterested in food this morning. I'm afraid she's going to go next. I need to set up a hospital tank so I can isolate her and see if I can nurse her back to health. I'm getting tired of losing fish for no apparent reason .

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 219

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:43 pm:       

Are mollies the only fish your'e having trouble with? If so, your'e probably losing them due to the fact that they are brackish water fish. That is, part freshwater and part saltwater. Although most pet stores sell them as freshwater fish, and they may be fine in fresh for a while, even spawning, in the long term their overall health will suffer and their lifespan will be greatly diminished.

I would recommend setting up your hospital tank as brackish water and transfering your mollies there, if the tank is adequate. That way you can witness first hand how much healthier they will become.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:08 pm:       

Actually, my platies seem to be having issues as well. I lost two platies this morning. One I was expecting to die because she was acting lethargic for the past day or two. The other one was a surprise; though she had some discoloration on her fins, she was still lively and eating.

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1365

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:36 am:       

Molly health will deteriorate slowly, and as they get sick they may pass the sickness on. I would highly suggest you pick which type of aquarium you want and try to acclimate them to brackish conditions or get rid of mollies and go another direction...
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:41 am:       

I'm open to converting my tank into a brackish tank, since I've also read that platies (as well as the other "common" livebearers, guppies and swordtails) do better in brackish water too. I've been trying to read up on what it takes to make a tank a brackish tank. So far, the only thing I've been able to come up with is that a brackish tank just has higher salinity levels than freshwater but not quite as much as a marine tank. As far as how high I should make the salinity levels, I'm not sure. I suppose this would depend on exactly what kind of fish I have in the tank ... at the moment I'm only interested in mollies, platies, and swordtails.

Another potential problem about going brackish is that I just threw in 3 yo-yo loaches in the tank to help curtail my growing snail problem. Can these guys live in a brackish environment?

And one final snag is that the tank is also a planted tank. I've read that not a whole lot of plants do well in a highly brackish tank. Moderate to low brackish, though, I have more options. Right now, the tank just has six amazon swords. I'd like to take a few out and add more variety though in the near future.

So the advice I need now is: what salinity levels should I aim for a molly/platy/swordtail with 3 yo-yo loaches tank? And can I even have loaches in the tank with the higher salinity levels?

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4008

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:06 pm:       

asincero,

The salinity range to shoot for on your mollies (assuming their origins are from a brackish environment) is about 12-15 ppt. That is utilizing a marine salt mix and obtaining a hydrometer, and acclimating them over several weeks by increasing the the salt mix concentration each week in new water from partial water changes. Your other fish mentioned are not brackish water fish, nor are their origins. "And can I even have loaches in the tank with the higher salinity levels?" I wouldn't chance placing any fresh water fish in brackish water. It will screw up osmoregulation and blood pH.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:50 pm:       

Argh .. this is a dilemma, then. I really like the mollies. I just saw some cool bright yellow sailfins at the LFS the other day. I didn't know they got that colorful. But at $6 a piece, those mollies were also the most expensive. I'd hate to buy a bunch, only have them die in the tank because its wrong environment.

I'm in the process of setting up a small 10g tank for my bedroom. It's currently doing a fishless cycle. I was going to set this tank up to be primarily a planted tank with perhaps a betta swimming around in it. I suppose I can make this the Molly Tank. But I think 10g is a little small. In fact, I know it's too small. How many mollies can fit in a 10g? Judging by the size of my mollies, I'd have to say "not too many". I have about 10 mollies now, plus babies.

maura
Username: quinndehart

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 07:55 pm:       

Arcadio,

This is purely anecodatal, not expert advice.
When I was reading up on cloudy water and recommendations for curing it I discovered that most livebearers (I have a community tanks of mollies, tetras, platies and swords, plus some Julii cories) prefer some salt in the water, but cories do not. I tried adding half the recommended dose (I think 1 Tablespoon per gallon instead of two, but please check) Mollies, platies and swords got happier, and the cories and tetras weren't affected.

I do understand, I'm fond of my mollies as well.

Let the experts here weigh in and see if this is a workable method for your tank
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Arcadio's questions...       
<

Quick Navigation Links

Administration