Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Fresh SaltWater?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Allan
Username: allan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 02:59 pm:       

I've noticed more than one person speak of having mollies, tetras and cories all in the same tank. I thought that mollies needed some salt in their water, while the other 2 were freshwater. What gives?

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1788

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:02 pm:       

what gives is some people don't know that mollies are brackish while tetras and cories are not. plus many stores keep mollies in freshwater so people figure its OK

that's what gives ;)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 224

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:04 pm:       

Hi Allan. Mollies are indeed brackish water fish, while the others you spoke of are fresh. Although some people may have success in the short term keeping mollies in freshwater, with even a spawn or two, their overall health and longevity are greatly diminished by keeping them in inappropriate conditions.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

Allan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:10 pm:       

So is it okay?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6772

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:13 pm:       

as others have already said .. no, it's not ok. while mollies may 'survive' in the short term in fresh water, they'll thrive in brackish water.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Allan

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:14 pm:       

That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. I was thinking about adding a second tank in the future for brackish fish, and wanted to make sure that adding them to my current freshwater tank was NOT a good idea.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Fresh SaltWater?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration