Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Large Rocks and Bettas       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ellie
Username: ellie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:49 am:       

Okay, two completely unrelated questions from the newbie.

Bettas in bowls/vases...horrible idea? Do they always have to be kept alone?

Large rocks for my aquarium. Can you use rocks found outside? If so, how do you prep them?
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

Ellie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:01 am:       

Also, on the Betta issue...if they are in an aquarium, how big? Heater?
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1748

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:27 am:       

Some people will keep Betta's in a peaceful community tank.

I keep mine in smaller tanks, 5, 6, and a few 10 gallons. Mine are very comfortable with snails, frogs and Endlers. Betta's are tropical and prefer warm water between 78F-82F. I keep my tanks at 78F because of the snails. (don't want it too warm for them!)

Here's a wonderful site that gives plenty of info on Betta keeping. http://www.bettatalk.com/

As to the rocks, I've used outside rocks but first boiled them for hours before adding them to my tanks. Some rocks are not suitable for fish tanks or need additional cleansing. What kind are you thinking of adding?
Amazingly, It's not just fish!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 894

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:05 am:       

I dont like the betta bowls,seems such a sad existance.The peace lilly setups(and the florists telling people bettas eat roots and dont need food) make me particularly angry.A 10 gallon setup with light heat and filter is pretty cheap and a betta and some live plants is a great beginner tank.
As for rocks I give em a good scrubbing with hot water.I have an endless supply of slate in my backyard.
Waiting will fill

Ellie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:36 pm:       

We live near a creek with tons of cool fossil-type rocks. I thought building a cave for my pleco in my 29g would be nifty.

I was wondering about a small hex or 5g for my daughter's room with a betta and a mystery snail.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:51 pm:       

The 5g for a betta and snail sounds good. It will likely need a heater (see previous message).

There are some other threads about testing rocks for freshwater aquarium use. Here is a link to one of them:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/231/39342.html

I couldn't find the other thread - I think there was something about muriatic acid mentioned for testing rocks for "safeness."
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Ellie

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 06:26 pm:       

Oh, I would definitely do a heater. I am trying really hard to be a worthy fishkeeper.

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 602

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:54 pm:       

I think you already got an answer to your betta question.
As for the rocks simple test is to pour some vinegar over the rock- if it bubbles it isn't safe to put in the tank b/c it would alter the water chemistry.
Then you would need to clean it like debbs and larry said- no soap!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9898

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:31 am:       

If the rock has fossils in it you can skip the acid test, it is (probably)limestone and only appropriate for hard water fish like livebearers, African lake cichlids, GF, and native fish. Not good for SA fish, which evolved in soft, acidic water.

(Message edited by mrmonroemod on April 08, 2006)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry

Post Number: 920

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:02 am:       

The slate in my yard contains fossils and doesnt react to vinegar.Ive read the shale slate is formed from is often formed from limy clay but not always.In any case I any case I keep mostly mbuna,guppies and snails and have hard water to begin with so it doesnt matter in my tanks.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9901

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:10 am:       

I've seen trilobites in shale - but not slate. But if you have seen it, I stand corrected, and please insert the word "probably" into that last post...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry

Post Number: 922

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:22 am:       

Most of the good fossils are in the shale,alot of scallop like shells,but I peeled apart alot of local slate when building the platform and wall behind the woodstove in my bedroom,and found a few good ones including an organism about an inch long that came out of the rock in one piece,which unfortunately I managed to lose.
Waiting will fill

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 03:55 pm:       

There ya go Cindy
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Large Rocks and Bettas       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration