Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Substrate & corys       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Denise Smith
Username: stellag

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:48 pm:       

I have a 20g tank that is currently home to 4 zebra danios and I'm trying to pick out some companions to add after the tank finishes cycling. I had wanted to add some corys, but now I am concerned that I don't have the proper substrate. I have medium to large gravel (at least it looks large compared to my little danios!) and I'm worried about damage to the cory's barbels. Would they be ok or are there any other bottom dwellers that would be a better choice?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6784

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:09 pm:       

as long as the substrate is smooth with no sharp edges, the corydoras will be fine.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Denise Smith
Username: stellag

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:37 am:       

Thanks, Dan. This site is such a great resource for those of us who are just starting out and don't want to make too many mistakes! I read so many different things, but it's nice to be able to ask someone with first hand experience.

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:31 pm:       

A question: By "no sharp edges" would that include normal gravel? I've got a bunch of cories; the substrate is the normal gravel they sell in bags. the cories are fine, but over the months I've had a couple of deaths I've been unable to explain. Is normal gravel ok? I'm crazy about the cories, and want to make their lives as pleasant as possible.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Substrate & corys       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration