Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Elephant Nose       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Emma
Username: fuzzy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

I'm pretty new to Freshwater Tropicals and am finding a lot of the information from books and stores very contraditive of each other! I have a 10-12 gallon tank with 1 small Angle, I red tailed shark, 1 Albino shark, 3 Tiger Barbs, 2 Corys, 1 Bristlenosed Catfish and a Ghost Knife. All getting along fabulously. Has anyone had any experience with Elephant Nosed?

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1754

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:17 am:       

Welcome to Badman's Emma!

Badman's Elephant Nose profile http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile42.html

I don't have the experience with Elephant Nose's but I do have experience with another Mormyridae, the Baby Whale.

Very shy and stays in caves (or PVC's) all day. They are not aggressive eaters so it is harder still to feed them if you've aggressive eaters in the tank (Angel fish etc.) They should be fed at night live foods such as bloodworms, blackworms and brine shrimp. In my opinion, they are not Beginners fish.

Emma, you mention having all the above fish in a 10 gallon tank?

Tank Requirements for 1 Angel Fish - min. 29 gal.
Tank Requirements for 1 Red Tailed Shark - min. 30 gal.
Tank Requirements for 1 Ghost Knife - to start as they grow to 20" - 55 gal.

If you go the link above, I believe most of the fish you have are on Profile. Some profiles are made by people that have hands on experience with these particular fish. Very good info.

These fish are NOT for 10 gallon tanks. My advise: return above fish asap OR buy a larger tank such as a 55 gal. start up.

HTH
Amazingly, It's not just fish!!

Sharon Miller
Username: smillermom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:20 pm:       

Hi Emma! You have quite the mix of fish there! The fish store should have guided you a little. The rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon, full grown adult sizes. A knife fish alone grows over 12 inches long. That would be your whole tank! I would return all but keep either the barbs and cories or the barbs and the bristlenose catfish. They may be getting along now but not for long. They will become more territorial or sick due to the cramped living. You can get store credit which will come in handy for other purchases.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1840

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:44 pm:       

Sharon: The rule of thumb is NOT 1 inch per gallon. This is a bad myth. You are correct to say you should stock for adult sizes, but size is not the only thing to consider. Would you put a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank?

You have to take many things into consideration when stocking: schooling needs, territorial issues, body type, etc. Read this for more detailed information on stocking levels:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=27480&post=125556#POS T125556

Emma, you need to rehome/return both sharks, the angel, the ghost knife, and possibly the Bristlenose. I say possibly the bristlenose because while they stay small, I personally don't think they should go into a 10 gallon. Plus, tiger barbs are nippy and I would worry about them confusing the bristles for food...

I know nobody likes hearing they have fish that are not compatible with the size tank they have (Yes, I made the mistake when I started fish keeping, so I know how it feels)

But I'm sure you don't want your fish to die untimely deaths either. Things may seem fine now, but you will find the sharks will be unhappy, one will ultimately kill the other. The sharks get over 5 inches and will be very territorial. The shark and the barbs won't get along. The peaceful cories and bristlenose will be stressed out by the aggressiveness of the other fish. Everyone will be cramped, stunting will occur, immune systems will become less effective, and remaining fish are likely to succomb to disease. All in all, not a happy picture :-(
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Michael R. Monroe
Username: mrmonroemod

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:55 pm:       

Emma- Debbs has given you some great guidlines about your current stocking levels. I would not keep an elephant nose in the same tank as a BGK. They belong to a group of fish that emite a low leval electrical pulse that aids them in their hunt for food. Having two or more of these fish in a tank causes the electrical impulses to cross and they can starve to death because they are inhibited from finding food. Also when kept in proper conditions a BGK can grow to over 20 inches SL. They do require a tank of over 300 hundred gallons.

Sharon-- First welcome to Badmans. Second the one inch per a gallon rule is one of those rules in the aquarium industry that does more harm than good. It is overly simplistic and does not take into account several factors including the overall mass of a fish. By following the one inch per a gallon rule it would be logical to keep a ten inch oscar in a ten gallon tank. Is this something you would do? Now I know you are saying that is an exception to the rule. However there are so many examples of "exceptions" to the one inch rule that it proves itself to be useless. The only fish that it might be safe to apply the one inch rule to is some of the small tetras and rasboras but those are the only fish. I am trying to say this as nicely as possible. As you continue to spend more time here at Badmans you will see other members explaining the falacies of this myth as it is mentioned as a "rule" quite often.

(Gopi typed faster than me)

(Message edited by mrmonroemod on April 09, 2006)
Whoa, kinda Wierd huh?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Elephant Nose       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration