Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Water changes       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

rick smith
Username: smitty

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:52 am:       

Since being on the board I realize I need to do more and bigger water changes. Currently to change my 29 gal. I have two 5 gallon buckets and a plastic gravel vaccuum to syphon out the water. Once the water is syphoned I clean the buckets and refill with fresh. I them dump the five gallons into the aquarium. My question- is there an easier way to perform this maintenance? Is there a battery operated syphon or other piece of equipment I could use? Any other tips?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8577

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:56 am:       

ir's called a python. available at an lfs near you. or on-line at drs foster and smith or big als.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:00 pm:       

Right here:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455244417 76792&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030123&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=253437430202 3693&bmUID=1144339068260&itemNo=0&Ntt=python&In=All&previousText=python&N=2

Carlo

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:02 pm:       

Well, THAT didn't work. Try again.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455244417 76792&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036904&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=253437430202 3693&bmUID=1144339297895&itemNo=5&In=Fish&N=2036904&Ne=2

rick smith

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:14 pm:       

That's it! . One question. If you use this to FILL your tank, how do you control water temp?

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8578

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:20 pm:       

mix of water coming out of hot and cold faucets
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Ellie
Username: ellie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:30 pm:       

I have a knock-off of the python. Love, love, love it! It helps get the poo out of your gravel, too.
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

cathy
Username: cathys

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:06 pm:       

I bought one too. Used it for the first time this past weekend. It was great, but it sucks the water out fast. And I was too afraid to use it to fill. But it is cool.

Carlo

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:36 pm:       

I have a removable thermometer, instead of one that stick on the tank. Before refilling the tank, I plop the thermometer into the sink and make sure that the temperature coming out of the faucet matches what it is in tank. Once I get it the same, I put some dechlorinator into the tank, and fill from the faucet.

rick smith

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:23 pm:       

Make sense Carlo. Thanks

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 907

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:37 pm:       

Ive got the lever position that produces 78f from my kitchen sink memorized,I check with a therm every so often but it hasnt changed
Waiting will fill

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8585

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:12 pm:       

man, you guys are into it. i turn it on and watch the thermometer out of the corner of my eye as it fills. adjust as required. a couple of degrees one way or the other won't hurt a thing. Paying too much attention cuts into my beer drinking time.

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1381

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:36 pm:       

LOL oh sully!
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:29 am:       

Didnt your momma ever tell you not to drink from the hot water faucet? If I dont drink it I dont give it to my fish. LMAO...

I used to do that hot water faucet thing when I was a kid....but now I am "advanced".
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:02 am:       

Flyingfish, what's so advanced about not using the hot water faucet?
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:06 am:       

How does it work with the water conditioner if the water comes from the tap? Carlo says he adds it to the tank, does that mean you add all the dechlorinator that you will need to the tank first then fill? A big dose of the dechlor. at once in the tank is ok for fishies, confused on this part? Also, from what I see, the pressure of the tap water makes it suck out the tank water- is there a way to make it stop at the tank, or do you have to run to turn off the faucet? My faucet is a bit far from tank, would hate to suck in a fish while I run back and forth!
I think I am going to buy a python next payday...the buckets take forever!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9881

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:45 am:       

Don't get him on that soapbox again, Michael.

(Apparently we're all backwards because we adjust the return temperature to avoid thermal shock for our fish.)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Ellie
Username: ellie

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:02 am:       

My gravel vac has a valve that will stop the water while you run to the sink. That way you won't accidentally Hoover up a fishie!

"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

cathy
Username: cathys

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:37 am:       

Yes, you must learn to use the shut off valve once in a while so you don't suck all the water out of your tank in 10 minutes. (Talking about myself here.)

Carlo

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:08 pm:       

This is probably wrong, :-) but I put in almost twice as much dechlorinator as needed to be on the safe side. A tablespoon before refilling, and one after.

I almost DID suck up an albino cory. He went *WHAP* right up the tube, and I instinctively shook him back into the tank. Must have confused the little bugger.

And as Ellie said, use the valve. Mine is quite close to the sink , so I have no problem.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9891

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:48 pm:       

When I am vacuuming, I take it out and carry it with me to the sink to turn it off. When I am refilling, I turn the water off at the sink instead of at the valve. When I used to use the valve, water sprayed everywhere, so I don't use it any more.

I'm not really sure what the valve is for. It seems even more useless if you have it at the sink end, instead of the vacuum end.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Robin
Username: robin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:45 am:       

For us beginners with 29 gallon tanks, how do you do 50% water changes and condition your water without buckets and fresh gallons of water, in the most simple of terms. This is supposed to be beginner forum, but you guys are are over my head.

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 02:31 am:       

Robin-- Quite honestly I just eye ball it with my 75. I will be honest though I still do the bucket thing with my smaller tanks (Including the 29). However this is because I have shrimp in them and when they are babies they are hard to see so I need to check the bucket for babies before emptying them. I still refill with the python. After a while you just know. Its an educated guesstimate. I will be honest I know that I add more de-chlor than needed but that's erring on the side of caution.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9897

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:26 am:       

Robin, these are simple terms, if you have and are using a Python or other brand of water changer. If you aren't, it won't matter how we word it, it won't make sense, although I can try:

You unscrew the cap on your faucet, attach the appropriate adapter and the pump. Attach one end of your hose to that. If you are vacuuming, attach that attachment to the other end of the hose. If it is a quick water change only, I put a knee high hose over the end of the hose that goes in the tank, secure it with a rubber band, hang it in the tank to the depth that I want to change (i.e. half-way down, etc.) and use a heavy object on the hood above the hose to keep it in the tank at that height. Open the bottom of the pump, and turn the water on, enough pressure to start sucking. If you are vacuuming, get on it, if not, grab an appropriate beverage to sip while watching the water drop. It is OK to read a good book, watch TV or talk on the phone during this phase, the water cannot drop below your pre-set spot, it will merely suck air (noisily) after that.

Before closing the bottom of the pump to refill, adjust the temp of the water to match the temp you are siphoning out, then add dechlorinator, enough for the total amount, close the bottom of the pump and begin refill.

It is best to refill a bit more slowly than you emptied, for numerous reasons...better for your fish, better for your floors. Also, books, TV, phones, etc. are a no-no at this point in time, particularly for small tanks, under 55 gallons. You might get away with it with a much larger tank, but it is safest to watch that water refill. Check at least once to see that temp still matches, adding more dechlorinator, if it makes you feel better. Turn the water off when your tank is full.

If you have more tanks, I move it to the next one and get going. If it is your only tank, or your last tank, I open the pump, pull the vac out of the tank, turn the sink on full pressure to empty the hose, and lift it high while recoiling it for storage. You want every drop out so that you don't get mildew growing in it while in storage.

That is as simple as it gets, but if you don't have one or haven't tried one, it will still be gibberish to you. Some things can be learned by reading, some can only be learned by doing.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Water changes       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration