Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Driftwood effect on water parameters?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:57 am:       

I will be getting some multies this week. I am going to add a small piece of driftwood to the tank for a BN that is coming with them. Do I need to be concerned about the wood lowering the water's ph? I figure I'll be getting a little buffering from the multies' shells and from a small holey rock, but I don't know if it'll be enough. Ph out of my tap is 7.8. If I need to add crushed coral to the filter, where can I get it?

Thanks!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1838

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:14 pm:       

Driftwood tends to leach tannins (tanic acid) which may lower the pH of your water depending on buffering capacity (how well it will resist changes to pH). You will also need to test kH to find this. You say the pH out of the tap is 7.8...have you tested water after it has set out for awhile? If not, take some water, leave it out overnight and retest the pH.

Crushed coral ought to be available at your LFS. If you need to, you can always add cuttle bone (in with the bird stuff)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 10:03 am:       

Hi, Gopi. I filled a jug yesterday evening and tested this morning. ph still showing 7.8
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Beginner Freshwater * Driftwood effect on water parameters?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration