Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Warts?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dahly
Username: dahly

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:36 pm:       

One of my White Skirts has warts on his body? Another seems to be starting to have them too. I can't post pictures. Water is 0, 0, < 5. Any thoughts, remedies?
29 gallon tank with 6 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami.
20H - 8 Neolamprologus multifasciatus

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:35 pm:       

hmm, my immediate thought is fish lice. does it ever seem to move, or go away? Are your fish behaving normally, no flashing and eating well.
My first real tank I ever had, I was plagued with fish lice. I medicated repeatedly, lost fish, bought new ones(from the same store) and then went through the motions again, until I let them all die, and gave up. I was 15, and had no idea about anything with fish, except that once or twice a year I was required to break down the tank, and clean it. However I only kept this tank for about 3 months.
I don't know how you would treat it, or if it even is fish lice, it's just my first thought....
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Dahly

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:21 pm:       

I called my lfs just prior to closing and they thought it might be a parasite; but could not be sure without seeing it/them. Four of the six have it to some degree. The "warts" don't seem to be moving at all, the fish are not flashing and are behaving as normal. I told my lfs that I have Nox Ich; which is mal. green. They said to try it, as opposed to doing nothing until tomorrow night. It's just the White Skirts now. I'll keep treating them with what I have and hope for the best until I hear of another remedy. Thanks
29 gallon tank with 6 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:55 pm:       

Dahly,

In the last month, have you introduced new plants to your aquarium? And, If you have, have you noticed an outbreak of snails?

Are the lumps developing any type of coloration?What color are the lumps? White, yellow, or perhaps a tiny black spot in the center?

From your general desciption,it is possible your fish have contracted a genera of Myxosporidea or digentic trematodes.

If these bumps seemed to have appeared quickly, it could also be Aromonas bacteria.

Either way, I would recommend quarantining all affected fish and perform a good gravel vac with water change. Also remove all (or as many as possible) snails from your tank. Quarantining the affected fish will also aid in treatment and proper administration of meds that would need to be dosed.

It is doubtfull that Nox Ich will have any affect on the possibilities mentioned. You may also wish to read the info in this link:

http://www.fishpalace.org/danscomments.html#Lump

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Dahly

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:24 am:       

No new plants (mine are fake)and no snails. The "warts" have no coloration at all. I'll check tonight when I get back home on their condition and report back. I'll also check the site you supplied and seriously consider your suggestions. Thanks, Glenn

Dahly

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:05 pm:       

I read the link given several times and also "dogpile"d" the web. From the info I could gather, I would think it is either tumors or flesh worms. Since it is on several W.S's I'm leaning towards Flesh Worms. I will need to recheck the sites for a possible cure, unless you know of a good remedy? Thanks

Dahly

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:52 pm:       

After seeing some improvement after 3 days of treating with Mal. Green, I brought the worst case to the lfs. They were puzzled too but their best guess is an internal parasite. I bought a remedy put out by Aqarium Phram, its a gel, and will start a 3 day treatment with that tonight. The fish are active, eating, swimming, schooling. I let you all know how they fair. Thanks

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 04:25 pm:       

Thanks. Keep us posted on those critters and let us know how that gel works

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Dahly

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 03:30 pm:       

Sorry that I've been absent for a while. Too busy at work and with my boys sports. The worst case died but all others did survive and are doing well. No sign of the "warts" at all.
29 gallon tank with white skirt tetra's, diamond neon tetra's, Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, powder blue dwarf gourami, serpaes.
20H - Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Warts?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration