Gerald L. Lohnas
Post Number: 2
|Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:45 pm: ||
About a week ago I went to pull some plants away from my filter intake on my 20g, and when I stuck my hand in the water it felt like a hot tub (so hot that for a second I thought I was burned). I couldn't see any reading on the two "stick on" thermometers on the side, so I put a 3rd one in....95F! Out of range for the other two, so no wonder I couldn't get a reading.
I quickly yanked the heater out THAT WAS STILL ON! And, I scoped out about 25% of the water as fast as I could and replaced it with cold water out of the tap...trying to mix it in as quickly as I could. I had it down to 85F in a few minutes. I added an air stone for increasing the oxygen and slowly cooled the tank to about 80F over the next 3 hours. I replaced the heater with one from a 5g and got a new one the next day.
2 Apisto. cacatoides (brand new)
6 lemon tetras
2 cory cats
1 red pencil fish
- fairly heavily planted with mostly Java fern and Java moss.
After a week, I can't find the pencil fish. The Apistos look a little ragged but were still alive as of yesterday (didn't see them today, but there are plenty of places to hide). The lemons seems unfazed, however the corys are acting brain damaged...swimming strangely, spending more time near the top of the tank, and resting in unusual positions like upsidedown stuck in some plants. About 1/3 of the Java fern is either dead or dying. My nuisance snails are just fine happily eating the dead and dying plants.
I expected to lose all the fish and maybe all the plants. Anyone else have a similar experience? Did I do something right by dropping the temp quickly to 85F then slowly to 80F and by adding an airstone? Am I out of the woods yet, or can I lose everything still? I can't believe anything can survive 95F.
Post Number: 634
|Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:28 am: ||
Fish can survive big temp swings,but Id of unplugged the heater and let the temp drop the fast temp swing is worse than waiting imo
Waiting will fill
Post Number: 9309
|Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:08 am: ||
My brackish tank went to 94 once and to 96 another time. The second time I lost the violet goby but both times all the mollies appeared to be thriving. I think low )2 is more of a problem with high temps than the actual temp itself, so if you were lightly stocked, they would not all die automatically.
Both times I turned the temp down on the heater and let it cool off gradually, I feared a suddent temp change more than the high temp.
"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer
Post Number: 245
|Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:15 am: ||
I think thats one of the only "rules of thumb" that we can safely go by.
'Its always best to avoid sudden changes in anything to do with your aquarium.'
That could be worded a lot better than it just was but it still makes sence...i think.
Beauty lies in the eyes of the Beerholder.
Gerald L. Lohnas
Post Number: 10
|Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:08 am: ||
I briefly considered the slow cool, but I was so alarmed at the high temp and had never encountered this before, that made a decision to drop it quickly until it was merely hot and not scorching.
Probably a little prevention on my part might have been best, namely replacing that cheap heater from Pet Smart sooner than after 4 years of use. I always figured that when they stopped working I would notice that slow cool before it became lethal. I didn't consider the thermostat sticking on. I enjoy fish soup especially Hungarian style, but I usually cook that on my stove.
Post Number: 399
|Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:35 pm: ||
I had the same problem about a week ago. It was on a Friday and I have one hour between work and my Fri night class. That day, we had gotten some awesome gold mollies in at work, so I took them home along with some plants before I went to class. I went to put the plants into the tank and noticed that it felt like a bath tub! So I checked the temp and it was 92! I unplugged the heater and topped the tank off with colder water which brought it down some, but not enough to cause a huge jump. I lost a few fish, 1 Krib, 1 White Molly, and 2 Glass Fish. Those Knight Gobies can handle anything!!! The heater is working fine on the tank now, so I have no idea what happened. I was going to replace it right then, but I'm waiting until I can get either another Rena or Visi-Therm Stealth. The only one we had at work was another Hydor, which is what is on there now. I don't really want to replace it with the same type.