Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * How can I approach this?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 05:31 pm:       

I'm posting this here because its about "sick" fish, but its not mine.

I know there's been a lot of discussion on the "painting" of fishes, and I buy into what's been said to the extent that I am willing to discuss this with the shop owners in hopes of pursuading them to not sell them. But I'm not sure what the best way is to approach them, and what the likely response/counterargument will be (and thus the counter-counter argument).

One store is a small mom and pop that has the fish that look like they've been soaked (rather than precision injected) in blue or pink dye. The other is a large local giant-type (not a chain) which has the precision injected outlined fish. Both are the white skirt tetra types.

I'm not looking to get into a fight, just try to convince them that by buying into ethical treathment of their fish they're doing a better business.

J
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 06:06 pm:       

Hmmm, this scenario sounds familiar. Jeff, if you have had a very good report with these folks and can speak candidly, then it would be much easier to understand why they order these fish. They may also understand your side of the issue for not ordering these fish. Either way, it's going to be difficult to convince them to give up a 'seemingly' popular fish that they make $$$ from.

If you do have a decent report with these folks, then I would approach the intiial query by asking if they sell more plain White Skirts and Black Tetras or the 'fake' colored ones.

The best we could do is simply not purchase them and pass the word along accordingly, while not sounding like a news paper headline or riteious fish book thumping evangelist that will bring fire and brimestone down on their establishment

Soaked-dyed or precision-dyed. Either method has the word dyed (just like died) in it. You know better, I know better, 99% of the members of this site know better. In establishments struggling to hold their own with the big guys, at least for a while yet, the $$$$ speak louder than us.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8273
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 06:23 pm:       

in case the report is not so good try rapport.

"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 08:31 pm:       

Golly. I really need a fresh keyboard. First Musicalfinges gets me , then Sully got me.

Either way, we expect a report on your rapport
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 09:16 pm:       

That's OK. At least no one mentioned "riteious"
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:00 pm:       

Well, thats strike three for me on the day. So much for this great spell checker I have on this system. It can't even pick the word righteous!
(George Bernard Shaw)

Garrett
Advanced Member
Username: happiegilmor49

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:10 pm:       

Wheres the icon for no fish dying?
I <3 the mods!
especially that loachy JP

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:39 pm:       

Garrett,

Jeff,

I know your concerns are serious. Don't let the goofing around side track the important issue you brought up. Its still on the front burner in my book.
(George Bernard Shaw)

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:23 pm:       

Ive spoken with the two employees at my lfs about it and they said theyve spoken to the owner about this issue.She wont budge cause "people buy them".So I stopped buying fish there.Its the only fish store within 50miles so I have to buy crikets there for my lizards sometimes but I take my business elsewhere whenever possible.
Waiting will fill

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5498
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:29 pm:       

Larry, I have a place that never sold "painted" fish, then one day I saw some there. I spoke with one of the floor people at the time, saying "I never thought I would see you guys selling "dyed" fish." He honestly didn't know what I meant. I explained and his response was....

"We get in whatever the supplier sends us. It's not a choice."

Does that make sense??? I didn't think they would just accept whatever, but actually ordered what they wanted.

Anyway, thought I'd give you another "reason" why some LFS carry them....at least that's why they SAID they carried them?
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 08:26 am:       

Id like to think that but no ,I know they place stocking orders weekly cause Ive asked them to place special orders for me,they pick from a list and know the fish are dyed.
Waiting will fill

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:07 pm:       

I dunno, there's something vaguely poetic about "riteous". It fits better than the other spelling . . . a true eggcorn!

Fr. Ted: You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of Al Pacino way. . . Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews. . .

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:49 pm:       

lol! and I thought he meant "riotous". Funny how similar that can be to "righteous" isn't it? Even in context...:-)

you got me Celt, what the heck is eggcom?

russ
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:17 am:       

Lol....eggcom
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:27 am:       

An eggcorn (from acorn) is a strangely fitting misspelling or homynymic restructuring. Okay, I know, let them explain it . . .

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

A few samples:

free reign (instead of free rein)
hone in on (instead of home in on)
all for knot (naught knot)
Alzheimer's Old-Timer's
amateur armature
augers well (for) (augur auger)
girdle one's loins (gird girdle)
in lame man's terms (layman lame man)

Fr. Ted: You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of Al Pacino way. . . Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews. . .

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:32 am:       

lol! okay eggcorn. dang small fonts....

I like eggcorns and I really like knowing what one is. :-) Something new every day...

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:04 pm:       

A local fish store that I have been doing business with lately and am building a rapport with is or at least was selling Dyed fish. I think I will be stopping by this afternoon, maybe I will ask him why he sells dyed fish when the color fades anyway. Don't the buyers get upset? He was up front with me when I asked him "What are those?". They were Dyed Parrot fish.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * How can I approach this?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration