Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Starting over what to do?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Marica
Username: marica56

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 02:50 am:       

I have set up a hospital tank for my last four fish. One of the two Serpea tetra's has a blood spot on the nose and will tilt to the side slightly. The other is pale but fine so far. The f-platy has white on one side that looks like just white skin cells. She seems fine.
Now that I have my 18gal tank empty and running on it's own I vac real well and did a 90% water change,rinsed all plants filters and hoses put new charcoal and pads in the fluval 104 and a new filter into the 10x20" eclipse lid. Water is clear and testing with the liquid test kits everything reads fine. The bio system say's it's up and cycled. With all the death I had from over crowding at first and adding to much fish at one time. And just plain dieing fish I was wondering what I should do next? last week I treated the tank with fish and ADf's three times with Meth grn. Then did a water change 20%. still lost more fish. Since that did not work I removed all fish and ADF's now the tank is running on it's own empty but for two plastic plants. Will parasites and fungus live on in the water without live hosts? Could I treat just the water or should I just bleach everything and then condition and start over till it cycles again with new water and new filter media (bio)? If I put two new small platy's and four neon tetra's in the tank should that be Ok while it cycles? And watch and see. I really need idea's. I am taking the couple of fish in to Capital Aquarium in Sacramento on monday to see if they notice any thing with the fish that are left. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 04:21 am:       

If you had the charcoal in the tank filtration whilst using the meds thats probably why they didn't work.

What are all the readings from your test kits?
Beauty lies in the eyes of the Beerholder.

Marica
Username: marica56

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 11:33 am:       

Sorry I forgot that I started a new Message. last post was "Death"
And both times I treated with meds I removed the charcoal. Now my tank is all clear and running on it's own the other four fish in the hospital tank are a live as well.
Reading in
empty tank
Ammonia (0)
Nitrate (.2)
nitrite (0)
Hardness (50)
Alk/buf (100)
PH (7.0)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Starting over what to do?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration