Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Please help       


 

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum


Author Message
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mary Dell
Junior Member
Username: marypa

Post Number: 37
Registered: 03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:51 am:       

My fish are dieing. Fish#1 Rasbora had a white pimple in the center of it`s body,later lost any eye,wasted and died. Until the day he died he was very active and eating. Fish #2 Platy I thought she had complications giving birth but was most likely bloated.She was gasping for air at the top of the tank and died that night. Fish #4 Rasbora has a white pimple with a pink center. It`s very active and eating well. Fish#5 Platy has a white pimple on her tailfin.I`m treating them in the quarantine tank with Maracyn Plus. I`m afraid to add salt to the main tank because of the loaches and cories but I am treating it with Maracyn Plus.
The temp is 82f,pH 5.9,nitrAtes 30, very soft slightly acid water. This is a 125 gal aquarium, my loach tank. Most recent additions are 2 Skirted tetras that were quarantined for 6 weeks.
I appreciate any help you can give me.
God is real. The only way to heaven is thru Jesus.
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

dan
Moderator
Username: dan

Post Number: 6602
Registered: 01-2003
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:17 am:       

pH 5.9? that's abit more than "slightly acid water". is the pH out of your tap the same as that of your tank?

what are your ammonia and nitrite readings.

how often do you do water changes and vacuum the gravel?

what's the total number of fish in this tank from the beginning? and now?

before you had the current problem, had you added any 'new' fish? how long had it been before that?

did you quarantine the new fish?

here's some info on "lumps and bumps" that 'may help you to pin down the actual disease process. i would NOT medicate the fish unless you can narrow it down to one or two potential causes. many drugs are quite harsh and you'll not serve the fish if you kill them with drugs instead of the disease you may be treating for.

there are a number of diseases that begin as aparent lumps or bumps or 'pimples'. (1) tumors or lymphocystis which are viral in origin and not treatable, (2) fish pox which is also viral and not treatable (3) various forms of ulcer disease which are caused by Pseudomonas or Aeromonas and are treatable, (4) HITH or LLE which has varied causes and treatments, (5) Costia - a parasite that nearly always causes little red hemorrhages, especially under the chin, (6) various bacterial diseases caused by such as Columnaris, (7) Neoplasm formations.

Lumps and bumps that suddenly appear are usually infections. If the disease process is due to bacteria, it usually resolves by rupture (like a boil) pretty quickly. The white liquid that oozes out is pus that is formed when the white blood cells (immune cells) die while killing bacteria (in general). NEVER TRY TO POP OR SQUEEZE THE LUMP. Like a boil in humans, squeezing can cause regurgitation of the pus into the blood stream of the fish with deadly results. It is also not a good idea to seal a draining wound unless it is bleeding. The most common bacteria which causes such lumps is Columnaris or Aeromonas.

Wounds that are white on the edges and red in the center are most typically Aeromonas. Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria. the best treatment for this is any sulfa antibiotic with trimetheprim. this can be put in the water and mixed with food -- if you can find Romet B use it.

Cautionary notes: Some water conditioners can inactivate some medication. NovAqua and PolyAqua will inactivating metals and quickly inactivates potassium permanganate.

Costia treatment is best accomplished by (a) first using a salt dip to strip the slime coat, (b) treat for 3 days with Quick Cure (c) run the temp up to 86F for 3 days and then (d) slowly lower the temp to normal at a rate of about 4 degrees over a 24 hour period.

other 'bumps' and 'lumps' may be treated by a bath of potassium permanganate. you can often obtain this at your local pharmacy.

notes on the use of potassium permanganate. 1 drop of stock PP per gallon is equal to 2 ppm. This is the concentration used for continuous treatment. PP is usually used for 3 days, or every other day for 4 treatments. If water is not clear in 24 hours (looks yellow), change 25-30% of the water before adding another dose. Light inactivates PP. After adding the PP, watch for a minimum of 15 minutes to make sure there are no adverse reaction. Then turn off lights or cover the tank.

Some water seems to inactivate PP rapidly. It should be pink when you put it in, and stay pink for at least 4 hours to be effective.

Stock PP can be used on a swab on small wounds or patches of white "crud" on fins. It results in a chemical burn and turns the area dark. Do not use near the eyes, mouth or gills. Use as a one time application, followed by Neosporin creme or Panalog (by vet prescription).

Epizootic ulcerative syndrome caused by Apahnomyces invadans. this disease works from the inside muscle outward to the dermis/epidermis causing lesions. there has been some reported prophylactic and therapeutic success addressing this parasitic fungus using RALLY in combination with standard doses of the antibiotic Kanamycin available at shops in various formulations.

If you pursue combined RALLY/Kanamycin treatment, use it according to package label instructions, and add one dose of RALLY every 3 - 5 days. The active ingredients in RALLY are biodegradable; however, you should run carbon or a Polyfilter for a few hours (and then remove it) before adding a repeat dose.

If small fish such as gouramis don't show lesions after a period of weeks, they are probably not/no longer infected and, therefore, no longer producing infectious spores. No sores + no spores + weeks = cure(?). There isn't much known yet about latent spores ("hyphae") which may survive in the flesh. The fungus does most of its damage in the muscle tissue where the effects are not readily apparent; when the infection breaks through the epidermis and forms an open sore the water is being seeded with infectious spores. Therefore, if your fish show no visible symptoms, let's say for at least four weeks, you probably have been successful it saving them and terminating the infection cycle. However, remember that the infection is invisible during most of its cycle in any given fish: therefore what appeared to be "stopping the infection in its tracks" over a period of 10 days or so doesn't mean the infection was eradicated. Finally, a fish can have multiple tracts of infected muscle, leading ultimately to multiple sores. So, while getting one sore on a fish closed up and healed is a significant achievement, it again doesn't mean much until the fish stays clean for at least two or three weeks.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mary Dell
Junior Member
Username: marypa

Post Number: 38
Registered: 03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:54 am:       

RO water with RO Right is used in all my tanks. One or two water changes a week at 25-30%. All new additions are quarantined for 6 weeks before going into my tanks. My tap water is deadly with nitrates so I don`t use it right from the tap.Tank has been set up for a year. ammonia and nitrItes are 0.There are 5 clown loaches.3 dojos,2 flounder,3 african dwarf frogs,4 danio,1 SAE,2 Bristlenose plecos,7 cories,a platy and a molly in the tank.
God is real. The only way to heaven is thru Jesus.
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1257
Registered: 07-2005
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 08:40 pm:       

Aren't flounders salt water fish??
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Regular Member
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 130
Registered: 01-2006
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 06:08 am:       

Hi,
There is a freshwater flounder.
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Flounder.htm
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Garrett
Advanced Member
Username: happiegilmor49

Post Number: 1132
Registered: 11-2004
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:08 pm:       

what siza tank is it?
I <3 the mods!
especially that loachy JP
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

russ
Moderator
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2730
Registered: 01-2003


Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:48 pm:       

Roseann,

I started a new thread for you in this board.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/17/66900.html?1143862877
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Please help       

Quick Navigation Links

 

  Administration