Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Ich problem       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ellen Frigo
Username: emfdvm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:55 am:       

My daughter discovered what I believe to be ich on 2 of our new neon tetras this morning. We bought 7 of them 9 days ago. The other fish in the tank seem ok right now, but we also have about a dozen cherry shrimp as well, which I'll have to remove before treating the tank. From what I've read, I'm also concerned that my plants may be affected by the medication. Is that true?
Main question is - will the currently affected neons be cured by the medication or should they be humanely euthanized to reduce the chance of spread to other fish in the tank (6 zebra danio and 3 dwarf gouramis)?

Ellen Frigo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:26 pm:       

The boards being down forced me to forge ahead so after copious internet research I went out and bought Rid Ich+ and have been following the bottle instructions. I took the shrimp out and put them in a little goldfish tank, which is at least one step up from being dead. All of the fish are still alive, as well as the plants, so I guess things are ok, although a lot of the fish were at the top of the water last night - it looked like O2 levels were low.Pulled the outflow tube from the filter out and let it pick up air overnight and everyone seemed ok this morning. Sometimes I guess it's sink or swim!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9466
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:47 pm:       

Sorry we weren't able to help, but it sounds like you did quite well without us.

Keep us posted and

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Ellen Frigo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:04 pm:       

Another question -
last night when I was concerned about the o2 levels I tested the water with the following results:
Ammonia: 0 prev. reading 0
pH: 6.8, prev reading 7.2
nitrites: 0.5, prev reading 0
The results had been very consistent since the tank finished cycling, so I'm wondering - do either of the meds in Rid Ich + cause the tests to change or interfere with getting the proper results, i.e. are these readings real or artificially altered by the meds? (I hope that's understandable).

russ
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 11:15 pm:       

Ellen,

Your fish may have been experiencing hypoxia from the formaldehyde in the Rid Ich+. This issue is multiplied when initial water conditions have a high organic load and lower oxygen levels to begin with. Following instructions on the bottle, I believe, call for an initial partial water change prior to treatment.

You were wise to remove your shrimp prior to treatment. Formaldehyde is not invert friendly

"Pulled the outflow tube from the filter out and let it pick up air overnight "

Huh? What type of filter do you have?

I don't think the meds (by themselves, at the recommended dosages) would alter your water parameter readings. The only way to be sure is if it was a bare-bottomed tank containing nothing but water and fish. I don't think chloride salt of malachite green would affect your pH that way either.

Are you using any other Kordon product, such as Amquel to treat tap water? Reason I ask is that Amquel will neutralize the M.green (but will not affect the formaldehyde).

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.

Ellen

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:36 am:       

Hi again-

"Pulled the outflow tube from the filter out and let it pick up air overnight
Sorry - that wasn't very clear, was it? I have an Eheim Ecco canister filter and what I meant was that I simply lifted the output end of the outflow tube slightly above the top of the water instead of letting it flow into the tank below the surface of the water. I don't know if a lot of air and constituent o2 gets picked up that way, but either that or tincture of time seemed to fix that problem.
I didn't use any other Kordon product. The only thing I can think of that may have altered things was the 2 caps (10cc) of Flourish Excel that I added that day to feed the plants (as I've been worried about them too since some places seem to indicate that the formalin may injure them).
I've been doing the water changes as directed by the RidIch+ bottle and I'd think I have the cleanest water in town as even before this whole debacle I'd been religious about at least 15% changes weekly with gravel vacuuming as well. I haven't tested since Tuesday so I'll check again today and see if anything's different.
Thanks for your response.
Ellen

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:53 am:       

Hi,
I'm glad to read that you have the problem well in hand.

How are the shrimp?
Here is a picture of mine having a party!
Shrimp Party!
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Ellen

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:44 pm:       

The shrimp are doing fine - probably glad they don't have to dodge the dwarf gouramis all the time! Maybe I'll figure out how to take and post pictures one of these days!
I see you're in Milwaukee. I grew up in Brookfield!
Cheers!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Ich problem       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration