Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Sick Gideon! (and treatment, long)       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amber Killian
Username: stampingchick

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:08 am:       

Okay this is going to seem kinda rambly, and stuff overlaps, but I'll keep it as simple as I can.
About 2 weeks ago: Noticed he was just acting really lethargic. We had the gas logs on, so I checked his water temp. It was about 82-85, I can't really remember but it was high. I turned off the logs and checked again in a few hours. Temp seemed a little high but not nearly as bad. Checked it in the morning, temp was fine. Started being really careful with his temp and whenever I noticed it getting high, would turn off the logs. Seemed okay for a bit. Then didn't seem to matter whether the logs were on or not. It was always around 80 which is higher than his normal 74 or so. Took out the heater for a few days, then decided to check again (yes, I should have done it without him in there, but no other option.) before I bought a new one. Still high. Took it out and haven't put it back in.
About a week ago, I noticed he wasn't eating his food and it was accumulating on top. (It had only been there 1 day, not long). So I scooped it out and let him fast a few days thinking he was stressed from the temp thing. Reintroduced the food, and he still ignored it.
Around this time, I noticed he started scratching against things. Added Melafix, thinking it helped with external parasites. Treated him for a week, did a WC, things seemed better. Still no heater in the tank, so I was leaving the light on as much as I could for warmth.
Tonight I noticed he was still looking really bad. Laying on the bottom, or at the top, but not his normal active little self. Watched him for a bit, and saw he was still scratching. So here's what I did: put him in his critter carrier that he goes into when I do a WC. Added a few pellets, thinking he would ignore them. He usually gets flakes due to SBD, but I figured if I could just get him eating again, I could fix that. Proceeded with the WC, with my mom fish-sitting. I am rinsing out his gravel and she calls, "He's eating!" Yay! I do his water change, trying to get the temp warm but not drastically different than it was before the WC. Crushed up 1/4 of a tablet of clout (he's in a 2.5) and added 2 small pinches of aquarium salt. Changed the bulb from a 7.5 watt, which with the heater got way too hot, to a 15 watt. and decided to leave the light on until the heater gets here. He has a cave he can go in if he gets tired of the light. When I first put him in, he seemed kind of shocked, just laying on the bottom. Then he went into his cave and now he is hanging out beside his cave. Did I do the right thing? Anything else I should have done? Anything I shouldn't have done (besides the obvious heater issues)?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9478
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:10 am:       

Need more info.

Is Gideon his name or a misspelling of gudgeon? (You didn't say what kind of fish you are talking about.)

Size of tank? You didn't give any water parameters, except for temperature....especially need ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. What was the Clout for? What is the salt for? What does SBD stand for?

You do know that a 15W bulb produces more heat than a 7.5W bulb, don't you? You really should use a heater to regulate the temp of the water 24/7, not a light bulb. Stability is very important.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Amber Killian

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:24 am:       

Sorry cindy. I was in a rush I guess. Gideon is a betta. He is in a 2.5 gallon. The clout was for the external parasites I assumed he had due to the scratching. Salt was to help ease stress. i know this is a controversial issue on here, but I thought it may help and probably wouldn't hurt. SBD= swim bladder disorder. I know the 15 W bulb produces more heat, and that he should have a heater. From the OP:"and decided to leave the light on until the heater gets here." Implying one is on the way. Since it's such a small tank, I can't use a 25 and that's the smallest I have seen around here except for the jr heaters at walmart which is what he had.
The water params:ammonia, 0; nitrAte 10; nitrIte 0.

Today he seems about the same. Staying around the top, seems to be breathing a little hard, but may just be paranoia. He has blown a few bubbles.

He is also at least 2 years old. I have had him a little over a year, and he was full grown when I got him.

Amber Killian

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:37 am:       

Just noticed he's still scratching. Will do another dose of clout I guess.

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 05:31 pm:       

Amber,
SBD would be affected more by feeding pellets or flakes. They swell up with water in the tummy, which causes the issue, you should be feeding frozen daphnia, brine shrimp, anything frozen basically... it would be a better choice for him.

The scratching: turn his tank light off and shine a flashlight on him, do yo see a golden dust? Then it's velvet. Does he scratch his gill plate, or another part of his body? Which part? Lots of water changes are good, they allow whatever is affecting him to be diluted. A wonderful board that are betta enthusiast's : http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/index.php
They will encourage you to try live foods with him, and will be able to help you through this, much better than I could.
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8336

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:25 pm:       

many fish flash as a result of being itchy. Not by default a parasite. Sometimes it is a result of metals in the water--or other things that bother them. Fish do get little buggers that could be compared to "ticks and fleas". Organisms that feed off them but are not terminal.

I have never used clout. Pretty heavy stuff. Did you follow label directions completely with the first go round? Important is to identify the parasite being treated. Wrong meds stress fish and do nothing for the problem attempting to be resolved. If you followed label directions completely and the fish still exhibits problems (do you see any lesions, ulcers, sores) other than the "flash"? Is it a frequent flashing--or is it once or twice and then 20-30 minutes and a little flash or two again?

Some ecto parasites are killed by some meds while others remain unfazed. It may be a function of right meds--wrong parasites. Maybe you should consider a different combination of paracides.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Sick Gideon! (and treatment, long)       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration