Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Disaster struck       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Vicki
Username: newbie258

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 02:33 pm:       

Yesterday I went about my normal routine.. did a water change on my 55 gallon in the afternoon, fed the fish that night and turned the lights out before going to a friends house, everything looked honky-dory. Got home about midnight and noticed that the tank looked kinda cloudy so I turned the light on and couldn't believe my eyes.

The entire tank was filled with nasty clumpy whitish stuff which seemed to be pouring from the filter, my fish were gasping and hanging at the top seeming to be fighting to keep upright. My little angel was dead and it looked like the rest would be soon. I freaked out and started draining the tank, my husband actually helped me drain the water (he never helps with the tanks) while I removed the filters and just threw them out. I refilled the still cloudy tank( couldn't get all the water out) and noticed tiny white lines all over the glass.. then I noticed that some of them were moving. I did one more huge water change, added some malachite green, and put in a bubble wall till I could get new filters (which was in the plan for today anyways)

The rest of the fish seem to be doing okay though I'm still worried about the cory-cats. The lfs said the malachite green should take care of it and they are probably gill flukes or anchor worms though they have no clue how they got so bad so quickly they said the worms could have come in on the plants I got recently.

I've never even heard of anything like that, it seems like no sooner do I think I have fixed a problem I get a worse one. My water tests were fine earlier (before the first water change yesterday) but at midnight when the bomb went of in my tank it showed pretty high nitrite readings (between .5 and 1.0) but no ammonia or nitrate.. does this mean that somehow when everything went wrong I lost my cycle too?
If at first you don't suceed, try try again.
If that doesn't work call a plumber.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9506
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:07 pm:       

It is unlikely that you have either anchor worms or gill flukes, which would be attached to the fish themselves, not the glass or coming out of the filter. Odds are they were nematodes. Had it been a while since you rinsed that cartridge? If it was getting full of mulm, it would be a great home for nematodes to take up residence. I got them in a cartridge once, in a turtle tank. They are an indication of too much organics in a tank, caused by overfeeding or under cleaning.

I am basing this opinion on the supposition that your LFS probably made that diagnosis without seeing the worms, probably over the phone...or did you actually take them a sample?

Of course, the irony of that is I am forming my opinion without seeing them either...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9507
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:21 pm:       

I forgot to mention that the anchor worms are very distinctive, forked, and more often on GF than tropical fish: http://www.2cah.com/pandora/Disease.html#Lernea

I don't think you could see gill flukes without a microscope:
http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Fluke

You should see a red inflamation of the gills and a few other symptoms if gill flukes are present, more than just gasping at the surface, which they would do in any event of waste being released into the tank.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6660
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:55 pm:       

I removed the filters and just threw them out you'll be cycling from scratch again so monitor your ammonia and nitrite carefully and do water changes as necessary.

noticed tiny white lines all over the glass nematodes or planaria .. no cause for alarm. these are not pathogenic nor parasitic and will disappear if you eliminate their food source. food in the gravel. lots of vacuuming coupled with lots of water changes and stop overfeeding.

added some malachite green not a good idea. you very likely do NOT have a parasite problem that this drug might eliminate but WILL stress your already stressed fish. remove this drug with water changes.

The lfs said the malachite green should take care of it and they are probably gill flukes or anchor worms wrong on both counts. gill flukes are extremely rare in an aquarium due to the complicated life cycle. anchor worms are very visible externally and you'd know if you had them.

showed pretty high nitrite readings (between .5 and 1.0) but no ammonia or nitrate.. does this mean that somehow when everything went wrong I lost my cycle too? well, you through out your filter media and there went your bacteria. you may not be starting from 'scratch' but the fact that you've got nitrite means you had ammonia before that ... monitor as i said above. if there's any stress noted, consider adding some aquarium salt to mitigate the effects of respiratory stress.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Vicki

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:39 pm:       

Great

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3875
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:42 pm:       

Vicki,

This happened in your 55? If I remember correctly, this tank has not been set up very long at all.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Vicki

Post Number: 224

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 04:08 pm:       

No it hasn't though it was cycled I had had zero ammonia and nitrite for a few weeks with low nitrate readings (5-10), and yes its the 55.. I was going to change the filters this weekend anyways. I didn't think I was overfeeding and had even cut down the amount of feeding lately because of 'stuff' that may have been fungus and looked much the same as what was flowing quite readily out of my filter the other night. The only recent change in the tank has been the plants and it is far from overstocked with fish it only has one angel(was two) one pleco. and three corycats.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1716

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:16 am:       

What do you mean by "change the filters"?

Do you have biowheels or bioballs etc and you were going to change the cartridge?
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Vicki

Post Number: 225

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:02 pm:       

I have hob filter with two biobag cartridges and changed those out.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Disaster struck       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration