Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Yikes- now bacterial infection       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ellen
Username: emfdvm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:19 am:       

Hi-
I have a 46 gal community aquarium with 6 zebra danios, 7 neon tetras and 3 dwarf gouramis. We had a recent outbreak of ich with the neons that I treated using RidIch+ for 6 days per bottle directions (i.e. 25% water changes daily, followed by 40% final change and adding carbon pad to the eheim canister filter). When doing the last big water change last night we noticed a lesion on one of the gouramis which appears to be an ulcer. It has gotten substantially worse in the last 12 hours. I do have some medicated food containing sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone which he eats eagerly when fed. The chemistry readings have been pretty good all along: ammonia 0 (occasionally goes a little higher, but never all the way to 0.25), nitrites 0.0 and nitrates 5.0. pH is 6.8 (was 7.2 for a long time but public water must be changing because if I test the tap water it has gotten lower as well). Moderate hardness. (125). Tap water also has a lot of ammonia (from chloramines?) that I'm finding very hard to remove, even with Tetra Aquasafe.
Here's the question:
I'm in the process of setting up a quarantine tank with a fishless cycle, so I don't want to use it as a hospital tank right now. Is there a way to do a short term bath with antibiotics on a daily basis to treat this problem? The fish seems pretty lively at the moment - occasionally chases a zebra or two, eats well. I just don't have the space to treat an entire tank with antibiotics. Note: I actually am a veterinarian (although my practice is limited at the moment), but fish were not well-covered in vet school and even my local exotic practice colleagues are unable to help. But it means I may be able to get ahold of drugs if needed/recommended.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8326

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 01:10 pm:       

you could do it most easily with maracyn/maracyn II added directly to the tank. Increase water changes to a daily basis to knock the bacterial population back, add a bit of salt to shift salinity to reduce oozing fluids from the wound.

quick, easy, effective. though a bit more expensive. The bacterial issue was most likely a consequence of ich. the wounds created by the parasite became "secondary" symptoms and problems.

A healthy bio filter should knock back the ammonia released by the breaking of the chloramine bond within a matter of hours. it could be that you are getting false positives on the ammonia levels as a result of the ammonia fixing product utilized.

To get a true pH level of tap water test it 24 hours after it has come out of the tap. The water will degass and achieve an equilibrium with the atmosphere in your home.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Ellen
Username: emfdvm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:36 pm:       

Ok- I can manage the Maracyn/maracyn II (buy both?). What kind of water changes am I looking at? 15%? And what will the Maracyn do to my biological filter?
Thanks for your help! Ellen

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8330

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:43 pm:       

Given that I have no idea of the type of bacterial infection--i would do both.

I would do 50% daily.

The maracyn II may, just "may", cause a cloudiness in your tank. The odds of that are increased with the water changes. I would do it anyway. The combination of meds are designed to do no damage to the bio filter. they do however kill off lots of other bacteria. some of which is beneficial to the tank--hence the cloudiness potential. The bacteria that dies off is "other" heterotrophic aerobic bacteria that helps keep the tank clean and break down and clean up decaying organic matter. In essence it helps feed and speed the process of denitrifying bacteria. it is not, however, denitrifying bacteria itself. Just good stuff you want that will return without your fish being harmed.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Yikes- now bacterial infection       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration