Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * I need help! Sick Silver Molly and she's fighting!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Anna Campbell
Username: easyanna

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:42 am:       

Alright, my molly has this big bubbly stomach, and can't stay upright. It floats upward and has a hard time staying down and swims upside down. What can I do to help her? She has been like this for 3 days, usually when my fish do this, they die shortly the same day. This one is fighting. Water testing is normal, did a water change about a week ago and removed 50% of the water. Anyone know any remedies? Know what it is? Why all my fish keep getting it? Help, my poor girl is really suffering, and I can't bring myself to put her down. Thanks

Garrett
Advanced Member
Username: happiegilmor49

Post Number: 1170

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:56 pm:       

Water change will help in the short term. What are your amm/nitrite/trate readings?
I <3 the mods!
especially that loachy JP

Anna Campbell
Username: easyanna

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:57 pm:       

No one has any ideas or clues as to what this may be? Or what may be causing a lot of my fish to be getting this? Thanks.

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:30 am:       

We need your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and pH. And, since mollies are brackish fish, are you keeping it that way? Using marine salt to make the water brackish? If so, what is your specific gravity?

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3901

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:27 pm:       

Anna,

There are many possible outcomes resulting from just the one symptom you posted (other than asking why this is happening to all your fish ).

When one or more fish appear to exhibit signs of ill health or unexplained injuries, you should first rule out the possibility of a noninfectious disease or problem. More often than not, health problems are relieved by examining and then properly correcting things that you can control in and around your aquarium.

The first protocol steps to diagnosing fish health problems is:

a. Can the problem be related to aquarium water?

Temperature, nitrogen compounds, pH, toxins introduced into the water such as: (proper dechlorination, unintentional spills or items added to the water. room sprays or cleaning the outside glass with a Windex-type product), source of your water (well, municipal, bottled, etc.), alkalinity of the water.

b. Could the problem be related to aquarium set up and management?

Is the tank a suitable size for the type and amount of fish housed? Filter and aeration? What is the amount and how frequently is the water partially changed?

c. Could the problem be related to choice of fish?

Compatible species? Stocking density for selected species? Where the fish quarantined, and were they previously treated for anything while in quarantine?

d. Could the problem be related to nutrition?

Are you feeding a nutritionally balanced diet? Is the food fresh? Is the feeding frequency appropriate? Are you feeding any live foods, and what was their source?

With those possible issues mentioned above dealt with, Fish exhibiting unusual swimming patterns such as hanging out at the surface, could indicate low oxygen, gill parasites, or gill damage. Fish showing a sluggish pattern and hanging out at the bottom could also indicate parasites, or cytophaga bacteria, or poor water conditions.

With regard to the abdominal issue with your fish, abdominal distension could be bloat, or dropsy, internal tumors, parasitic infestations of the kidneys (Matraspora), cyctic kidneys, possibly inherited from or due to toxic metals, Mycobaterial infections (Mycobacterium), tapeworm, pseudokidney disease, plain old constipation, and/or injury causing permanent or temporary loss of control of the gas bladder.

You indicated that this was happening to 'all' your fish? What comes to mind in this respect, is a combination of a better diet and a maintenance adjustment, or an introduced toxin into the water. Either way, when revisiting this section for recommendations, and if you have water test kits, please consider the information that is generally needed to provide a 'reasonable', informed recommendation. A picture of your fish would also help.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * I need help! Sick Silver Molly and she's fighting!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration