Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * one in the tank thatwhite stuff....NOT ICH       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dianna
Username: ~dianna~

Post Number: 69

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:18 am:       

My 2 tinfoil barbs are the only ones in the tank that look like their scales are just pealing off...yes it is white but it doesnt look anything like ICH.....I have no idea whta is wrong with them and I've had them for so long that I dont want to see anything happen to them!
it looks almost like fuzz or something too I guess....can anyone tell me what this could be? I dont see how it could be ICH unless ICH can just come out of no wheres because I havent added any new fish to my tank in a very long time....
"No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry"

Dianna

Post Number: 70

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:26 am:       

I have this stuff : Ick Away - for the effective control of fungus and external parasites....I am thinking about putting that in the tank....but I dont know if I can use it for everything that is in the tank....I am scared that I cant use it because I have my snail....it doesnt really say anything on the bottle about what it can and cant go with for fish....anyone know? Oh this is really bothering me....I love my TinFoils....I dont want to lose them!!!!

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6695

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:39 pm:       

treat the tin foils in a separate tank.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Dianna

Post Number: 71

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:48 pm:       

ok so the treatment has been in for about 10 hours or so now.....they are looking so great! I cant see any of the fuzz stuff on the barbs anymore EXCEPT for their eyes....I can still see it on the eyes.....It says that I must do a 50% water change within 24 hours that I put the treatment in....so I'll do that tomorrow.....
I figured out that the stuff that I am using is bad for tetras and my snail....so I got an amount that I can use that is safe for them being in the tank also....I noticed a big of the "fuzz" on one of my giant dainos also....so I decided to treat the whole tank...

does anyone know what this "fuzz-like" stuff could be? I am like 99.0% sure that it isn't ICK because....well it doesnt look anything like it

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3903

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 04:20 pm:       

White tuffs that can resemble little 'cotton balls', is a fungal infection. This can be a result of an injury or bacterial infection.

Smaller white tuffs, that do not take on a characteristic cotton ball shape, can be colonies of Heteropolaria, a stalked protozoa.

And no, this would not be ich. Although, the ich parasite may have caused this to occur.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Dianna

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 09:22 pm:       

can ich just develop even though there hadnt been any ich in my tank at all, what-so-ever??????

I am thinking it might have been some sort of fungus or something....I am not sure....the barbs are always bumping into each other all the time....literally all the time.....I doubt that could be what has caused it because they have done that every since I got them....and they are far from babies now.....so I dunno.....it is disapearing from the eyes now....so after I do my 50% water change....I am going to maybe treat the tank again IF I can still see it on my barbs....

Dianna

Post Number: 73

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:53 am:       

Can ich just develop out-of-the-blue????

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2267

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

yes, ick can develop out of the blue, but ich does not look like tufts, it looks more like salt. If it's a bad case... encrusted salt.

Russ would you like to elaborate on the heteropolaria? What is that!?

I could google but it would be so much more enlightening coming from you.

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3929

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:44 pm:       

Kim,

It's a stalked protozoan parasite.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2268

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:03 am:       

pffft! :-)

Dianna

Post Number: 74

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:49 am:       

well I did a 50% water change.... last night I could still see the tuffs or whatever....BUT there is still one of my barbs that has the stuff on his eye....does this mean that I have to treat the tank again??? I looked this morning around 7:30 or so and you could see it....I looked just a minute ago...and it seems to be disapearing.....

how long should I wait to treat the tank again....if it needs to be done? or do I even have to treat it again?

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2270

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:15 pm:       

give them a break from meds for a couple of days while you observe.

MO

Kim

Dianna

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:41 am:       

I think I am going to remove my barb from the tank....the next tank that I have is only a 10 gallon....but I'm sure he'll be fine in ther eby himself for a few days....you think I should treat him again by himself....or is it still too soon?

Dianna

Post Number: 76

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:18 pm:       

ok....my tinfoil barb is totally not hanging out with the other tinfoil barb that I had....they were ALWAYS together....he just sits along in the bottom on the right side of the tank....rarely swims around....

now....I've had a much better look at the eye....since he doesnt move and it's the outside eye....it's more like a big bubble that covers the black and yellow of the eye ball....mostly in the centre I guess where the pupil is....

anyone have any idea of what THIS could be?

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2273

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:05 am:       

This is popeye. The first thing I would do is start water changes every day or every other day. Start small if they aren't used to large water changes and gradually increase the amount of water you change, 50% is good, more is even better if they can handle it.
Give the large changes a week and if you see improvement then just stay on that course. If it hasn't improved in that time or gets worse then I'd consider an antibiotic.
Popeye isn't a disease in itself but a symptom. Sometimes water quality and stress cause it, sometimes it's an infection or injury. Water changes are always good, even if it's bacterial the fresh water will still help their overall health so you can't go wrong with that.

Dianna

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:23 am:       

his eye isnt popping out....there is a bubble on his eye....is this still pop eye?

ph 7.0
nh3 0
no2 0.3

so the other fish cant "catch" it from him? should i put him in a separate tank?
i did two 50% water changes this past week

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3947

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:53 pm:       

Dianna,

Please check this out. Scroll down the list to, Pop Eye/Cloudy Eye.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html
(George Bernard Shaw)

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2278

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:37 pm:       

Donna, what size tank is this?
Did you know that tinfoils are coldwater fish that grow very large and needs lots of swimming room for optimal health? They are really more suited to ponds then aquariums.
I would suspect that tinfoils kept in aquariums are likely prone to health problems, just because of envirionmental stress.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * one in the tank thatwhite stuff....NOT ICH       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration