Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Is this normal?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amy
Advanced Member
Username: amy

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:25 am:       

a couple days ago I got a bristlenose pleco. the shopkeeper pulled it out of the tank so fast I didn't get a chance to look at it (I had called ahead and he was saving it for me). I asked about the white I saw and he said that's just the retractable spikes on the sides of the head (don't know what they're called). now I notice a spot of it on one of the fins as well. it doesn't look like ick or anything I've seen before and I'm wondering if this is normal or if he sold me a sick fish?

here's a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/a2kelley/pleco.jpg

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6707

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:36 am:       

normal? no. without actually seeing the fish, i can't make a certain diagnosis. i'd suggest not medicating the fish right now but rather, keep the water in pristine condition (this means ZERO ammonia and nitrite and 10 ppm or less nitrate). if the spot(s) do not clear up within a week or if additional spots are noted, c'mon back and we'll figure out what to do next.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1055

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:44 am:       

the first ones I noticed are right on the spikes. I'm guessing it's not just a coincidence on the individual coloration? problem is, I don't have a quarantine tank so I put it right in with the other fish...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9656

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:32 am:       

Clown loaches and a couple other loaches have those but I don't think BN do...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1056

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:19 pm:       

well, there's definitely something there at the sides just below his eyes...

if they're damaged bristles or something like that, I find it hard to believe it happens to be symmetrical...

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6717

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:27 pm:       

I find it hard to believe it happens to be symmetrical that's why i suggested a wait and see approach. i've not seen what your picture shows in other bristlenoses but i've certainly not seen a great many ... perhaps it's one of those anomoly's that occurs normally in a population.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1057

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:33 pm:       

let's hope so. I went to a fish store I don't normally go to because they had one and no-one else did. 'course I haven't seen him eating algae, either, which is why I bought him. maybe I should have gotten SAE instead...

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1058

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:31 am:       

the white spots on the side that show in the photo seem to be getting better, but not on the other side, as far I can see.

I've also noticed his scales don't seem to lay as flat as it seems they should, but not as raised as I've seen in pictures of whatever disease that indicates. maybe it just looks it because they're bigger than on my other fish?

all he does is hang out by the heater. he's been there for a week now... course for all I know he moves around at night...

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1061

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:36 pm:       

still has the whiteness around the barbs, which I've never seen out. I called the storeowner and he says they all have that and anyone who tells me otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about... like he's the only one that knows anything. I only went to that store because the other shops didn't have what any...

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3997

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:26 pm:       

The skin is pretty tight and exposed on that part of the head region. It would appear that the shipment of Bristlenose could have been roughed up and that area got injured as the fish tried to adjust and/or acclimate to each new situation, shuffling against objects and each other.

Was the store owner incorrect about his somewhat matter-of-fact statement? Probably not, if the whole shipment arrived in pee-poor condition. Was he right in his remarks? Nah, I don't think so. It seemed like a cop-out answer. But then again, I'm only going on assumption.

But, I guess we'll just have to take a cautious approach and not do something drastic in treating something that may or may not need treating. Keep the water changed and clean. Watch for signs of fuzzy edges around the area in addition to any spreading of the whitish area.

That being said, it may take longer than about a week for this to clear. It may not clear entirely, but leave a blush-colored scar area instead of normal pigment color. A mild medication could be applied to help, such as Melafix. It's a good product (next to pristine water conditions) for aiding in the healing of scrapes and wounds. If this issue should start to escalate, post back. You may need to prepare a hospital tank if strong antibiotics need to be adiministered, but until then, just keep an eye out on the fish.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1062

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:56 am:       

When I got him, he was the only one there and the guy commented that he'd been there 3 months. I should have then said no, even though I made a special trip and would have to wait for my favorite store to get one.

sounds like maybe his regular supplier doesn't raise and/or ship well...

unfortunately, I don't have a hospital tank. best I could do it a tiny critter keeper with a bubbler... and I don't think I can use melafix becasue I have loaches and cories in the tank. aren't they sensitive?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Is this normal?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration