Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Guppy and red string-like in the anus       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Grimlin
Username: grimlin

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 05:39 pm:       

I have a female guppy that has little red things coming from her anus. There is either 2 or 3 of these things. They acutally reminds me of the tip of a reptiles fork tounge. Just on a much smaller scale. I was thinking it was some sort of parasite so I treated her with a dose of the tank buddies parasite medicine, but there was no signs of improvement. Before I do another treatment, is there anything else that I can do that will have a better result. Also, am I right in calling this a parasite, or is this something else.

Also, can she have babies with this problem, I bred her awhile back, before I noticed this. I was hoping that the combination of the two wont kill her or anything.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3932

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:25 pm:       

Grimlin,

I'm pretty sure that Tank Buddies Parasite meds are not going to cure what I think is ailing your fish. You indicated a a fairly good description of a nematode worm that invades the lower intestines. (Camallanus)

Levamisole hydrochloride should clear this up with a single treatment. Many fish people have also indicated that Praziquntel (now available over the counter) also works.

Levamisole powder can be obtained from your local Farm COOP or online. Mix 5 grams of powder with 3 ozs of water. This will render a 5% solution.. Use accurate measuring devices. Treat with 1ml of this 5% solution for each 5 gals of aquarium water. Needless to say, but I will anyway, remove carbon filtration and perform a good gravel vc prior to treatment. This treatment should last for a approx. 36 hour period, in which time worms inside the fish(es) should be killed. I don't recommend feeding your fish during this 36 hour period. Replenish water with another partial water change after 36 hours and feed your fish some baby or adult brine shrimp. If you don't have live, frozen should be ok. This will help to clean out the fish's digestive tract. Dead worms would normally be ejected with the next one or two bowel movements.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9699

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 10:42 pm:       

Here's more, in the Library:

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Guppy and red string-like in the anus       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration