Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * What's wrong with my 2 bala sharks?? please help       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sarah
Username: 3dgsuperfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 10:25 pm:       

I have 2 bala sharks that are losing their scales. At first I thought they were bite marks but i saw one of the scales fall off the other and I also saw one of the scales hanging loosely ready to fall off. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? There is 1 blue acara and 1 severum in with them but I know they are not the reason because they scared losing scaled before the acara and severum were added to the tank.

Sarah

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 10:42 pm:       

I've also noticed their fins are starting to split

Anthony
Username: bigant

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:05 am:       

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/clinicalsigns.htm This may help you figure out what the problem is. If your severum and blue acara have no symptoms and you have the means you may want to separate them to hopefully avoid getting them sick.
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6749

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:49 am:       

what size is the tank these fish are in?

what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

how often do you change the water? how much do you change each time?
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Sarah

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:57 pm:       

ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 20 (but i heard that nitrate isn't real dangerous) ph is 6.8. I have a 55gallon tank and I do a 25% water change once a month. I'm currently treating them with melifax, it's been 3 days but so far there hasn't been any improvements.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8459

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:03 pm:       

They need a tank of at least 6' in length. they are active swimmers.

you need to get it to about 50% weekly for water changes. 25% monthly is just not enough.

They are a schooling fish. So, you need to get several more as well.

What other fish are in there with them? They are skittish fish so the other fish will also play a role in their overall health.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Sarah

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:23 pm:       

i don't understand why i'd have to do a 50% water change every week when my ammonia is 0 as well as my nitrite, at least that's what i had read and been told. It's so hard to get advice because I'm being told different things and now I'm just confused lol The tank is at least 6' long and the only other fish I have with them is the blue acara and severum.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1749

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:32 pm:       

nitrate CAN be very dangerous. 20ppm is OK, but you might aim for 10 or less.

There are a lot of other things in the water, dissolved solids, waste products, and other ickies. You can't see them and they don't show up in tests for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. Your fish swim in and BREATHE the water and will appreciate clean water. (Think, would you prefer to breathe fresh air or stale, musty, smokey air?)

Water changes reduce wastes that can only be removed that way. They also replenish minerals. Your fish use minerals from the water (and so do live plants if you've got them) they need replacing.

Topping off from evaporation won't be adequate either. Wastes are not removed, and while you are replacing some mineral content, the dissolved parts in the water actually become more concentrated. (Only the water evaporates, everything else is left behind so while you are adding water, you are also adding more dissolved compounds).

And because I love to quote Sully:
Freshwater fish love fresh water (and they also NEED fresh water)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

JP
Admin
Username: jp

Post Number: 3372

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:40 pm:       

Here are a couple links, both out of the Library, which further explain what Gopi is talking about:

The Importance of Regular Water Changes

Nitrates and DOC's

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9755

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:04 am:       

Sarah, a 55 gallon tank is 4 feet long, not "at least 6' long". The balas will grow to over a foot long each, quite a bit more. You've watched them cruising back and forth since you got them, do you see the future problem, when the tank is barely 4 times as long as their bodies? And the dirtiest, skankiest tank, with nitrates over 300 ppm, will still have zero ammonia and nitrites. That is normal in a cycled tank, not an ideal that means you don't need to change water yet.

As already mentioned, balas are schooling fish, and should be kept in groups of 6 or more, in a tank at least 6 feet long. They are skittish fish that will hurt themselves when they "startle" if you keep them in a pair instead of a school - the most likely reason yours are missing scales. If you don't keep them in a school and begin changing more water weekly than you are currently changing monthly, the balas will not make it to full grown status.

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Balantiocheilus_melanopterus.html

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/cyprinids/bala.html

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_bala.php

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * What's wrong with my 2 bala sharks?? please help       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration