Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Baby Mollies Oercrowding       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Larissa Mitro
Username: larissaj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:25 am:       

I have a 26 gallon freshwater tank that has been set up for over 6 months and until recently had 7 mollies. One of them had been acting funny and then had babies one day (I'm guessing 12). I didn't have a nursery so I decided to allow natural selection to take place. The older fish didn't seem to bother the babies or the mom. Then today the mom died. Another one of the mollies that I had for 2 1/2 years also died. My question is, are the babies overcrowding the tank? And what is the average life span of a molly?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6750

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:52 am:       

have you checked your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

what's the pH?

is there salt in the water? a teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water will go a long way in helping them.

what's the tank temperature?

without additional info it's impossible to define your problem but my guess is that yes, your tank is severely overcrowded. the average lifespan of mollies is 4-5 years when maintained under proper conditions.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9730

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:09 am:       

I am going to guess that it is not a bracksih tank, and the fry will tolerate that more than the adults. I use about 2 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon, and my adults are all over 2 years old, not bad for livebearers. I seldom disagree with dan, but I would recommend a minimum of one tablespoon per gallon.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Larissa Mitro
Username: larissaj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 01:58 pm:       

I checked the ammonia and it's in a safe level, the Ph, nitrite, nitrate, and alkalinity levels seemed off, but the test I have doesn't show exactly what level they are at. The temp is 78.8. I have been using aquarium salt. I usually do a 4-6 gallon change every month, but it's been a while and I can't use my gravel vaccuum with the babies swimming everywhere. What should I do to fix the overcrowding without getting another tank?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9736

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:04 pm:       

What do your tests show, if not the level they are at? What brand are you using? We can't help much without knowing the readings for the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Numbers are necessary, not verbal descriptions like "safe level" or "off".

20-25% of water changed per month is likely to be the culprit. Most of us do 40-50% per week. And we continue to vac the gravel with fry and juvies. If it is a simple water change, I put a knee high stocking over the hose end, if I am vacuuming, I stick the vac under the surface of the gravel and keep it there the whole time.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Baby Mollies Oercrowding       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration