Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Betta = Dropsy       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

jacquied
Username: jacquiedee

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:56 pm:       

Hi I posted in the "General" area and I received some helpful responses. I now have a complete diagnosis of "Simon" betta. He has dropsy and it is BAD. I am now treating 10g with Maracyn 2 and Epsom salt. The water perameters were fine. I believe I caused this from overfeeding. He is still wanting to eat but after fasting him for 4 days, thinking he was constipated, I realize that the chances of him surviving are rare. He swims okay but remains floating in a corner and will take food but is growing. Whether it is a tumor and if he will survive the meds this week is anyones guess. If anyone has any advice, I'd gladly consider it. I would like to know, if I should continue feeding him small amounts? Should I keep the light off or limit the lighting (8hrs)? I would like to make him as comfortable as possible. I cannot bear to euthanize him (yet). Thanks

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1447

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:36 am:       

Mine may have it too...I'm afraid I was lax with my water changes. It's a 2.5 gallon tank and I went a week without changing water... I have epsom salts and I'll be trying the pea bit tomorrow in case it's constipation. How much epsom salt should i put in? Is it safe for ADFs and snails?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

jacquied

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:53 am:       

Hi Music....

I am no expert in this but because I am dreading the worst for him, I am going to use 1/8 tsp to 10 g tank every day until the meds are finished. He is not looking good at all. I wish you luck with your betta.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1452

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 02:17 pm:       

Oh, i'm sorry honey! I'm concerned about my froggie and snail during treatment, though. Guess I'll have to call the LFS to find out. I'll be trying the shelled pea bit tonight; Herbie seems pretty hungry (he always was a pig, lol).

jacquied

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:56 pm:       

Hey Music....

I am surprised at the lack of responses (?) When I had my tank full of fish (before they were dying), I posted and got LOTS of responses. Maybe Bettas are not that popular or everyone's away on vacation. I'm not too sure how Maracyn would affect your snail and frog. If you look down on Herbie from the top and he is bloated and the scales are sticking straight out and he is grey in colour, than it's dropsy.
Simon was (oops is) a piggy too! Hence why I think I overfed. Now I am thinking that I have a really bad bacteria in the tank and that's why ALL my fish (previously) were dying. I then put Simon in the 10g alone for a couple of months now and well....look where that got him (SICK)! Poor guy.

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2284

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:42 pm:       

Jacquie this should get someone in here.....I hate telling on myself when I've done something stupid but I have to now.

When my betta got dropsy I went for the epsom salts. i couldn't remember how much to use and I guess I was feeling a little panicked so I put 2 tablespoons into a 12g tank. Not only that but I continued adding a tablespoon every time I changed water for a couple of weeks.
Later when I realized what I had done I was pretty shocked at myself. I know how much epsom salts harden the water and I use less then that in my shellie tank! What was I thinking? Putting that much in had to have slammed the ph and hardness up instantly of course.
BUT
Neither of the bettas in the tank even blinked. Gabriel improved dramatically overnight and continued to slowly improve over the next couple of weeks. He's pretty good now, I know he likely has some lasting damage from the nitrite spike but the swelling is gone.

anyway...I'm not even daring enough to suggest you increase the epsom salts to that degree but maybe using a little more would be helpful.

now, let the guru's weigh in if they will. :-)

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8487

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:50 am:       

turn off the light.

Without knowing the parameters of your water then it is impossible to suggest anything you could do to help the fish. It may be, given lots of variables, that nothing we might suggest would "solve" the problem.

Reason for lack of response is that most of us don't like to guess at possible solutions and end up killing a fish for you. And, some of us actually have limited time available in our day. As a result the time we are able to spend on the board is best spent where it does some good. Or, we can get a little enjoyment out of the experience.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1460

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 05:01 pm:       

Don't have a test kit (still...). I'll change the water today.

Good news and bad news. Herbie ate the pea, and made a poopie, but he's still swollen. So...I fed him another pea, and we shall see what happens.

jacquied

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:58 am:       

Thanks everyone who took the time to respond.
Glad to hear "Herbie" is doing better Music....
Unfortunately, after 4 days of meds and Ebsom salt, "Simon" was not improving. He died in the tank last night sometime. Early detection would probably have been the best but it was just too late. He is in fish heaven now.
So long........... onto another hobby.

Kyle
Username: mr_bean

Post Number: 282

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:22 pm:       

Now hold it! One bad experience with a betta doesnt mean another hobby!
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1480

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:55 pm:       

Oh, I'm sorry Jacquie! :-( That's always a sad occurance...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Betta = Dropsy       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration