Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Cory with red spots / Sick??? / Please Help!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Eric Paul Poole
Username: girrabit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 09:29 pm:       

I just added three peppered cory's to a 6 week old tank (20 Gallon). One died the 2nd day and it looks like he'd had fin rot or something like it for a while. The second seems to be thriving hapily but the third has these red spots that are getting bigger and redder. They seem to be right where his pectoral fins are attached to his body. I don't think it's his gills but I could be wrong. I've tried Melafix for three days and the spots are even worse. He is swimming and eating, but I'm worried he might die like the first one Any ideas???

20 Gallon Tank, 6 Zebra Danios, 6 Neon Tetras, 2 peppered corys. Whisper Power Filter, slightly hard water, Ph 8.0, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 2ppm.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3973

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:48 pm:       

Catfish, as a group, do not react well to nitrite at all. I would perform at least a 50% partial water change. Here is something you may wish to investigate:

http://www.fishpalace.org/disease.htm#Septicemia

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Eric Paul Poole
Username: girrabit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:42 am:       

Is it safe to add salt to an aquarium with Corys? I've heard they don't react well to it...

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6763

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:22 am:       

they'll die from nitrite toxicity if you don't add salt.

Haemorrhagic septicaemia is caused by one or more of the bacterial class of Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Vibrio. these bacterial species are common in many apparently "healthy" aquaria as latent infection waiting to happen. happen it does when fish are in poor and/or stressed condition for some reason, which can include toxic ammonia and/or nitrite levels, overcrowding, moving, rough handling, inadequate/innapropriate diet, temperature fluctuation, wrong pH or pH fluctuation, build up of dissolved organic compounds --- the list is practically endless.

the red streaking observed on the fins or red spots on the body are the result of haemorrhaging of internal organs and accumulation of released blood in more external tissues of the body such as fins. other symptoms which may occur as the disease progresses include ulcers.

you need to maintain your water quality and reduce/eliminate both ammonia and nitrite. there's little point in medicating these fish unless you eliminate the cause first. otherwise it just won't work.

you do not have a cycled filter and thus, the toxic nitrite levels. moreover, corydoras catfish are not hardy to these toxins and should never be insstalled in an uncycled tank. i believe you're seeing the results now.

having only one or two fish out of several contract the disease is not uncommon -- fish vary in their resistance to pathogens. it will not last. septicaemia is extremely infectious and the other fish will succumb soon. the result is always death.

treatment: Furizolidone at 20mg/liltre as a continuous bath for 7 days. complete water change -- 48 hour rest period. repeat treatment. Nifurpirinol at 0.2mg/litre as per above. OR whatever the medication regimen stated in the article posted by Russ.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Cory with red spots / Sick??? / Please Help!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration