Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Panda Corydoras       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Capper
Username: capper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 01:33 am:       

We had 6 Panda Corys in our 48 gallon tank. Today we found one had died. While 4 of the others look fine, one seems to have about half of its tail missing. I am not sure the cause of it. Now, we've suddenly just noticed that about 3 of our Pandas have very small portions of there "top" fin missing. Can anyone assist by telling us what might be wrong and what we should do (if anything)?

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1489

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:10 am:       

What other fish are in the tank? I used to have a panda cory cat with skunk botias, and they ate the top fin off of the cory. It could be that your other fish are picking on them.
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 04:10 pm:       

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? We need exact numbers to really be able to help you. Also, what is your maintenance schedule.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4005

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 04:42 pm:       

What might be wrong? I think Musicalfingers posed a good enough point to consider. What should you do? Observe the goings on in that tank. See if you can catch any of the other fish in the act, so-to-speak. If this is case, then move the pandas to one of your other three tanks which might contain more compatible fish. If this is not the case, then consider what Colleen asked, along with your acclimation procedure for these fish. Also, do the fins look like a chunk was bitten out of them, or are they frayed with white edges?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1491

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:45 am:       

Russ, I think he meant that the other three pandas look fine, not that he has three other tanks...
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2228

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:44 am:       

he may well have meant that....however, in his registry he states he has 4 tanks. hence russ' comment.
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

Capper
Username: capper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:44 am:       

We have 5 Pandas altogether in the one tank. But yes, we have 3 other tanks too! The fin-damaged Panda is still hanging in there but acts like a loner while the others seem to hang together often. The poor guy has lost about half of his tail and half of his upper fin. As for the other Pandas, one looks perfectly okay. I have noticed that a tiny bit of the upper fin on 3 others are missing but their tails are fine. We're not sure what to do. Should we move these Pandas into another tank? We have a 16g tank with 3 other kinds of cory catfish, some shrimp, and 5 rummy nose tetras. Maybe we should swap catfish. We have 1 3-striped cory and 2 otocynclus cory. We could move those 3 into our 48g tank and move our 5 pandas into that tank if necessary. The Panda's tail seems hard to tell that it's been frayed. It seems more like it is the same shape but smaller than normal is all. The top fins are only noticeable when looking closely. The one with the damaged tail -- the top fin is more noticeable.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Panda Corydoras       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration