Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Ick and snails       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 06:33 pm:       

Somehow, I managed to get ick in my new tank. It is only one the black neons so far, so I'm hoping that I caught it early. I picked up some Jungle Ick Guard II which contains farmalin(37% solution), victoria green, nitrometson, and acriflavine. Is it save to leave my apple snails and olive nerites in the tank while I treat, or should I move them to a temporary home. I'm not really sure how I managed to bring in the ick since none of the fish at work are exibiting signs of any disease at all. How I got it is not important, just how to get rid of it. This bottle says a second dose may be added. Should I treat for a full 10 days like most recommend with large volume water chages as well, or just two treatments like the bottle says?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8548

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:22 am:       

Follow label directions. The manufacturer used to have very clear directions. One treatment/dose will not solve the problem. Do a large volume water change prior to first dose. With a thorough gravel vac. Prior to second and subsequent doses you will need to repeat the process.

Formalin binds to the dissolved oxygen in the water column. Make sure you increase surface agitation (and do the large volume water changes) to facilitate gas exchange and assure appropriate oxygen content in water for fish.

Will it hurt your nerites? don't know. It never killed pond or ramshorn snails in my tanks.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:34 am:       

I'm removing the snails just in case. That is, if I can find them all. I just did a good water change tonight and I'm going to put a peice of spinach in tonight to try to catch the rest of the snails in the morning. I plan on hooking up an air pump to help with oxygen. There are just a few tiny spots of the fins of a couple of the neons so I don't think it will be too hard to cure. I checked all the fish at work today very carefully and they showed no signs of anything at all. I'm going to keep an eye on them though.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Ick and snails       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration