Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Betta with a bad mouth?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ambria Red
Username: ambria_red

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:12 am:       

I have a marbled crown-tail betta in a five gallon. The tank has long since cycled and the betta has been in there since Jan. This morning I noticed he was acting kinda inactive, and upon closer inspection I saw that he had some sort of white furry mold on his lower lip. It reminded me of what his 'bites' look like if one sits in the water for a while. I knew I needed to call the LFS or something, but I wouldn't be able to because I had to go to work. Now after work (10 hrs later) he now has that white stuff inside his mouth, not on the outside. What is this?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8547

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:18 am:       

off the top of my head--columnaris

www.fishpalace.org/disease.htm . Check out the photo. read the description. Come back. Several people can probably help you through this one.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Ambria Red

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:33 am:       

It doesn't really look like any of them. I'm really starting to get worried about him. He's not doing anything but sitting on the bottom, flapping his fins a little. His mouth is harder to see now because he's moved to the back. If it is columnaris, it suggests to do frequent water changes. I did one Thursday night, so I should do one now? I'll just have to see if he can make it through 'till morning. Thanks though, Sully. I feel like you've atleast given me an idea.

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8550

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:35 am:       

Odds are it is bacterial in nature given your description. Water change of 50%. A tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons. And some maracyn and maracynII tomorrow if possible.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8551

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 05:50 am:       

the one caveat that will change my thought is if you have sharp objects in the tank that can cut the fish--even plastic plants. If the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate...are out of line that would be a possible cause of stress permitting a columnaris or other bacteria to take hold.

Ambria Red

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:07 pm:       

do you know what cotton mouth is? when i went to the lfs, i saw some little capsules that were for that and i figured that might be it. i'm not too sure but it might be the same thing as columnaris or what have you. i used the medicine today and he's much better, but his little mouth looks kinda raged now. the lady i talked to said that bettas are prone to getting fungus, but i still feel so horrible that it happened and i didn't know how to help.

Ambria Red

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

thanks, by the way, for being so quick to respond. i had to log out before i could read your other posts, but i really appreciate you being so helpful.

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8597

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:14 pm:       

cotton mouth is a slang phrase for "columnaris".

Ambria Red

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:17 pm:       

oh. lol. just shows my ignorance, doesn't it?
sadly though, this is the fourth day after the medication, and while his mouth looked better for a bit, i'm not sure he's totally healthy. the stuff called for one dose on the first day, a second dose on the third day, and a water change on the fifth. i'm gonna have to do more research to figure out what's going on.

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8617

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:26 pm:       

what are the little capsules?

Emily H
Username: ekhilgy1188

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:26 pm:       

I've lots of bettas, none with cotton mouth thankfully. I couldn't help but notice this comment, though: "It reminded me of what his 'bites' look like if one sits in the water for a while." I know exactly what that looks like, and the thing is, you really shouldn't let his food sit in the water that long. I've done it too, and I had a betta whose uneaten food caused an infection in a tiny cut, and it killed him. It was really terrible.

That's probably what caused his cotton mouth. Consider a snail as a low maintenance way to clean up uneaten food--plus, even if your betta is really cranky, there's nothing he can do to a snail.

I'm not saying this to make you feel bad. It's just that I've been there, and I don't want it to happen to you.

Napoleon and I are rooting for your betta! I hope he gets better.

Napoleon
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Betta with a bad mouth?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration