Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * That was fast       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lori M
Username: bubby

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:42 am:       

I bought a pretty Blue Gourami (Three Spot) from Wal Mart on the weekend. I never buy fish from Wal Mart, but I couldn't resist. He was great, lots of energy and such. I came home from work yesterday and the poor little guy was on the bottom of the tank covered in fuzz and turning a different color. It was strange, he was fine that morning, swimming around and as pretty as ever! So, I quicky put him in the hospital tank and treated him, but he died about a half an hour later. Funny thing is, I am a neat freak with my tank. I'm always changing the water, vacumming the gravel, cleaning the filter so I don't understand. The rest of the fish look fine. Could this be one of those cases where he was already doomed from the minute I brought him home from the store, or is there something I'm missing.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6776

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:44 am:       

sounds to me like you bought a fish that was diseased from the beginning.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Lori M

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:46 am:       

Hmmm, that's what I thought. I was just questioning it because nothing was wrong with him for days, then suddenly kabooom!!

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 436

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:57 pm:       

Lori, the reason it happened could very well be that by putting the fish in your very clean tank you stressed him out and enabled the disease to get him.

I know it sounds weird, but fish generally acclimate themselves to whatever water they're in - good or bad. This is especially true of the gouramis with their ability to breathe air. My personal experience with tanks at sprawl-mart is that they're absolutely filthy and disgusting. Taking a fish out of that environment and putting him into one that's drastically different, even if different in this case is worlds better, can be extremely stressful on the fish.

Lori M

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 04:55 pm:       

LOL...sprawl mart

OK, I've learnt a lesson, don't buy fish from sprawl mart. It makes me sad really, those poor fishies don't stand a chance. Poor little critters.

Here I thought I did something wrong. I feel better now..thanks!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * That was fast       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration