Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Fungus on ranchu...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lynliss Almasy
Username: ravenlock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:55 am:       

20g(quarantine) ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte 5. temp. 76, ph 8.2 Ocuupant: 2 1/2 inch ranchu.

My friend brought me this fish about 4 weeks ago. It has been in quarantine since, as I can't get rid of the fungus on it's head. It looks like little cotton balls. About 6 of them.

I've tried salt for two weeks. No effect. I've tried Maroxy by Mardel for 5 days. No effect. I tried Maroxy again for 5 days. No effect. I tried Jungle fungus cure. No effect.

It's the same thing every freaking day. I medicate in the morning, by the time I get home from work the fish appears fungus free. By the following morning the fungus is back in the exact same area. I don't know what to do.

I think that the meds are only killing the surface fungus, not what's down in the wen. So as the meds fade overnight, it just grows back.

Is there anyway I can physically remove it? Maybe take a q-tip with meds on it and sorta push it down into the wrinkles? I'm about to give up. Well...not really, but I am extremely frustrated. Any thoughts?

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1501

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:11 pm:       

Meds should not "fade" overnight. Are you treating every day? Most packages say to treat for 3 days or so after the initial signs disappear to ensure that it is gone. Also, are you doing water changes while you're treating? (you should!)
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:01 pm:       

I've been following the directions on each package. That's why I can't figure out why nothing has worked. I had fungus years ago and got rid of it in 3 days with the Maroxy.

The Maroxy says: Add 1/2 capfull per 10 gallons every day for no more then 5 days. It says NOT to do water changes as the medicine has to slowly reach theraputic levels. So that's what I did. Twice.
I thought that it might fade overnight in this case because it uses stabilized chlorine compounds and chlorine evaporates. I guess maybe that's why it's stabilized? :-)

The Jungle cure says: Add one tablet to each ten gallons of water. If needed a second dose may be added in 4 days, after doing a 25% water change.
I did that as well. Fish did not like this one...

The salt thing was: Slowly add a little salt each day over a week, until you reach 1 tablespoon per gallon. Then keep it at 1 tablespoon per gallon for 2 weeks changing 50% each day. This was from a goldfish site. Tried this as well.

That's what I've done. Should I not follow the directions on the package? If not what should I do? I'm so confused...

Oh and I removed(with carbon & water changes) all meds before I switched from Maroxy to Jungle cure, as I didn't think the meds should be mixed.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8618

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:36 pm:       

Always follow label directions.

Could be you are really treating a bacteria that looks like fungus--or the fungus is a secondary consideration. Maybe even something like spironucleous.

Just cause it is more friendly (albeit still fatal) i would probably go down the bacterial path.

Maracyn and maracyn II. they even work in concert with marocy without destroying the bio filter.

Good Luck.

oh--get the temp down to 76F-77F. no higher.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:16 pm:       

Okay, I've had success with Maracyn and maracyn II before. I'll give them a try in conjunction with the Maroxy.
The temp. is 76. Always is, as that is the ambient temp. of my bedroom all year round. Thanks guys.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4019

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:46 pm:       

Lynliss,

If the above treatment does not seem to work after a reasonable amount of time, say over the coarse of several days without any noticeable improvement, your goldfish may have colonies of epiphytes(Epistylis, to be a bit more specific). These resemble small white areas that can attach themselves to fish in water where there is a high concentration of organics. They are stalked organisms and resemble true fungus. These critters are frequently seen seen to affect goldfish and catfishes.

Treatment for this can be accomplished by swabbing the affected area(s) with tincture of iodine. Formaldehyde at 25ppms is another alternative. Formaldehyde, when added to 10 gals of water (Formalin at 37% formaldehyde) will result in these concentrations: 1 mililiter = 25ppms, 2 mililiters = 50ppms, 3 mililiters = 75ppms, etc. Kordon's Formalin can be used per the label instructions. Since your fish is already in a QT tank (which has now become a hospital tank), and you decide to employ this type treatment, I would also recommend increasing the available oxygen in the water by increasing the surface agitation; with an additional air stone or bubbler. Also water temps may need to be lowered slightly. How much? That also depends on other water conditions and parameters, but A fair estimate would be temps not over 78F. Your tanks temps should be ok. Remove any carbon from your filter system and replace fresh mechanical filter media. If this happens to be a sponge, clean, rinse, and rinse again in dechlorinated water that does not contain the same organic load as the tank it will be employed for.

Musicalfingers,

I don't know what context you meant by "Meds should not 'fade' overnight". Most meds can and do fade over a period of time. This can be anywhere between a few hours to 24 hours. Formaldehyde falls into this category. Its not that they just disappear, but dilute and lose concentration, or disassociate. Water parameters can also affect meds. Also, fish can only absorb so much of the medication within a certain amount of time before they themselves can fall victim to over dose and med toxicity.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:42 pm:       

Well, he appears to have another problem now. I noticed today that he looks rather round. I'm not sure due to the colour of the water(blue colour makes it hard to see) but I think I saw raised scales...:-(
So I guess maybe all the stress of meds, the disease itself or maybe water quality has produced dropsy. I'll keep up with the meds for a few more days. If that doesn't help, I'll try one of your methods Russ.

However, I've never had a fish recover from dropsy.:-(
Oh well I did the best I could. I didn't expect much from a Wal-mart rescue anyway.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Fungus on ranchu...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration