Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Septicemia       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Atreyu
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 06:52 pm:       

Is it a good idea to treat septicemia with tetracycline-324 Powder and how much should i use for 10 gallon tank?

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6793

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:18 pm:       

first be sure you know what caused it and correct that. there's little point in medicating the fish unless you are willing to eliminate the cause first. if you do otherwise it just won't work.

septicaemia is extremely infectious and unless you quarantine the affected fish, any other fish in the tank will succumb soon. the result is almost always death.

the best treatmentis: Furizolidone at 20mg/litre as a continuous bath for 7 days. complete water change -- 48 hour rest period. repeat treatment. you can also use Nifurpirinol at 0.2mg/litre as per above. Oxytetracycline is less effective and difficult to use ... at 75mg per kilogram of fish (yes, you have to weigh your fish) with food.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Atreyu
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:45 pm:       

I have determined the cause and have quarantined the sick fish. The cause has been corrected as no other fish have come up sick. I was wondering about tetracycline as a bath because that is the only antibiotic i have access to.

dan

Post Number: 6796

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:29 am:       

tetracycline as a bath hasn't been shown to be very effective.

Atreyu
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:12 am:       

Is that to say i shouldnt do it or is it worth a try?

dan

Post Number: 6800

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:30 am:       

well ... if you're not able to obtain those meds i've listed as effective, i suppose using what you've got is better than using nothing.

i'd appreciate your letting me know what you decide to do and the outcome.

(Message edited by dan on April 07, 2006)

Atreyu
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:39 am:       

Im going to try tetracycline because that is the only thing i have. I have nothing to lose i guess. I have run the gauntlet with melafix and stress coat. These fish are too important to just give up on. Im sure everyone reading this knows the feelings.

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1387

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:13 pm:       

yes we do :-)
Goodluck
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Atreyu
Username: atreyu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:37 pm:       

Well i just gave my pink kissing gourami and my tin foil barb their first dose of tet-324. about 1 tspn per 10 gallons I hope its enough. They already seem more alert. I hope hey get better real soon. Its kinda cramped in their 10 g hospital.
I'll think of one later!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9908

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:23 am:       

to Badman's, Atreyu. Now that you've registered, the thread can be moved to the Fish Health forum.

In the meantime, since we know your fish are important to you, and can see from your profile that you are not from the UK or somewhere you can't buy fish meds at every petstore, why not get one of the meds that dan suggested? Melafix and Stress Coat are not meds, and tetracycline as a bath will just foam up your water and do little to nothing for septicemia, so why not make that trip to the LFS? At the very least, measure and mix it with their food, or get medicated fish food that is just right for septicemia. Hers'a a link to some bulk food called 05-TET005, but you can' get small quantities and any LFS:

http://www.superpond.com/fishfood.htm#05-ROM305

You may have to ask for it, most LFS will have it behind (or in or under) the counter.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Atreyu
Username: atreyu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:07 am:       

I know what you guys said about tetracycline as a bath but i have great news. The pop eye and red streaks are completely gone and I think Im about to move these poor guys out of QT. So in short, SUCCESS!! Or so it seems. And yes it did foam up my water pretty bad and may even be the cause for me having one less thermometer. Oh well. At least the fish appear healthy. The only antibody I've been able to find OTC at LFS is pennicillin. Ive also been able to find cephalexin. But I didnt buy them having not had an out break of any form of disease in 3 years. Ive never really had any experience treating anythng except ich either. But I will take your advice and search extra hard so i know where to find the better medicine should I ever need it again. This website has been a complete inspiration. I never would have thought to try tetracycline if I hadnt come hear on my research trek. By the way, I work on a dairy farm with about 2400 head. The tetracycline I got is what we use to cure their foot warts with. Maybe the kind I got is a little stronger than what may be available at LFS. Any way, look forward to hearing feedback. Late--
I'll think of one later!

dan

Post Number: 6809

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:27 am:       

congratulations. glad to hear it.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9916

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:11 pm:       

That's good news, but either way, a 24 hour QT and single treatment is not enough for a complete cure. You know from your experience with cattle - and with any antibiotics you've taken yourself - that you don't quit the minute the symptoms ease up. You need to continue treatment long enough to kill all the bacteria. Even with the tetracycline food, that is 10-14 days. If you quit after 24 hours, you can expect the symptoms to return.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4018

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:51 pm:       

Many of the antibiotics available to the hobbyist for treatment of bacterial diseases do not kill the causative culprits outright, but merely dilute, disrupt their ability to multiply or slow that process, or merely shut down their virility until the fish's own immune system is back up to deal with agentant.

More time should be allotted for a fish's immune system to kick in after a fish has become stressed from a condition such as disease. Although the employment of tetracyline may still have some effect for the treatment of columnaris, (? for septicaemia) there are more limitations to its use than it's effective uses. It is an older drug that , well, for lack of a better term, has seen it's time. It's almost rendered completely useless in med to high hard water conditions. Water hardness will affect it's ability to be absorbed by the fish. You did not indicate any of your tank's water parameters. Since nobody asked, that issue is kind of moot for the immediate situation, hence, Dan's recommendation for treatment. But, it will be very useful information in the future. One of main reasons, is that different meds are affected by different aquarium water conditions.

I'm glad you have registered. Welcome aboard . This is a super place to to talk about the aquarium hobby. Its a never ending story.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Septicemia       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration