Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Tiger barbs  

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

rick smith
Username: smitty

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:04 pm:       

I put 6 in my 29 gal on Saturday. Currently I have 1 blue gourami and 2 cory. Wthin 24 hours two of the barbs have developed what I would call shimmy. They are fluttering and shaking but not moving. One had decided to hide in the bottom corner behind my heater. I tested the water and ph is 7.4 amm is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 10. Water temp is 78. The gourami is VERY aggressive and has started chasing the barbs. Does this sound like shimmy or could it be stress from the gourami. I lost 3 tin foil barbs a while back and they showed the same symptoms. I'd hate to lose these 6.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6821

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:11 pm:       

i'd wait a week for them to acclimate before i started to worry. did you acclimate them to your water chemistry when placing them in your tank?
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

rick smith

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:39 pm:       

I put the plastic bag they came in from the fish store in my tank for 10 minutes. Then opened the bag and add some of my tank water. Did this twice over 10 minutes. Then put them in my tank.

rick smith

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:39 pm:       

Just got home from work. One barb dead. Another showing same symptoms. Can anyone give me some idea what to do? Very frustrated.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8633

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:06 pm:       

what is pH of water at lfs. what is kh and gh?

go for a slower acclimation process.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Fish Health * Tiger barbs  

Quick Navigation Links

Administration