Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * No water gel packed plants       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Vicki
Username: plecogirl

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:35 pm:       

Hello.. I got tired of waiting for plants at the lfs that looked halfway descent and ran across these at Petco.. (found out we had one I just didn't know :-)) Anyways they weren't in water they were in tubes with gel around their roots.. bought them, took them home, rinsed the gel off as instructed, and planted them. They look like very healthy plants, though not all of the ones for sell did, and I thought that I would post a thread here and let you all know how the plants fare as this type of packing is new to me (though it may not be to you) I got an aqua fern, 2 Amazon swords that came together as one, two Borneo swords that came together as one, and an Argentine sword. Okay that was it, wish my green guys luck :-)
An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.-Martin Luther King, JR.

ray leonard
Username: fishyray

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:47 am:       

This is a common packaging method for lfs and even greenhouses. If you're like me I check all the tubes for any brown or dead leaves. If I find any then I skip that tube. There are actually many types of plants ship in this manner, Not just aquarium plants. I remember this from days managing a greenhouse. It's much cheaper to send this way as the entire package is lighter in weight.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9147
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 07:17 am:       

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

I've seen those but was reluctant to try them myself until someone else posted their results. How about letting us know when they take root and start growing?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Vicki

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:05 am:       

that was my plan :-)I'm hoping they take well. This is also my first attempt at a planted aquarium so if they don't thrive it may also be me, not quite a controlled experiment ~L~
Yeah I looked through them for about half an hour to get the four that I did get because they looked really good. there were a couple of leaves that had brownish spots but I just cut those off like I would any plant, my five year old has them in a cup of water she wants to get them to root ~L~ maybe it'll work for her and I'll have more plants.
An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.-Martin Luther King, JR.

Vicki

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:00 pm:       

a week in and there is no new growth but the plants look good (with the exeption of the amazon swords which the pleco seems to have quite the taste for)
Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.
- Herbert Henry Asquith

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9323
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:51 pm:       

Have you seen the pleco eating them? I'm not even sure a pleco can damage a plant...but clown loach damage looks like this:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/18/44639.html?11231948 52

Otherwise I'm going to guess you aren't using root tabs. The swords will get very holey, even lacey, if you don't fertilize the substrate. The damage will look like the pic I posted way down here:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/18/26129.html?10963001 32

(Sorry, I can't right click to copy and paste short-cuts here at school with this dumb i-Mac and its laser mouse...)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Vicki

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 04:28 pm:       

Its okay.. The damage definitely looks more like the loach one (though a bit more extensive) it isn't lacey at all. I haven't used root tabs if you have more information on that could you post it (if its easier to do when you get home thats cool I can't go running out for anything right now anyways and my hubbie has expressed that they are not his fish tanks nor his responsibility)
The pleco definitely is eating the plant he gets on it and munches for a while and when he leaves there is a hole below where he was then he moves on.. maybe I need to give him more cucumber ~L~ or it could be that the plant is weak from lack of nutrients so it is taking damage from the pleco where it normaly wouldn't. I'm open to advice I haven't done aqua plants before and want these to grow.

(does ctrl c and ctrl v work.. that might help with copy and paste. I've never used an i mac)
- Herbert Henry Asquith

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:03 pm:       

(Cindy, to right click on the macs, you hold down the control button while you click)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9328
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:32 pm:       

Wow! Thank you, both of you. I just assumed it couldn't be done, so I never asked anyone at work.

I have a confession to make. I am very sporadic at putting in root tabs, typically forgetting to until I see damage. A month or so ago I took most of my plants out of that 55 - leaving only the swords and crypts - and all the driftwood and decorations and vacuumed thoroughly. Got all the mulm out of the flourite in the front half the tank. (I know some of you will cringe that I did that, but I can't stand to let it build up forever, so I figured the plants will have to put up with it every year and a half.) Replaced the driftwood and plants and took some of the surplus to the LFS for credit and lots to school for coworkers and some plantless tanks there. When I could see the swords in the back for the first time since about Thanksgiving, there was more damage and I realized I hadn't put tabs in since, well, before Thanksgiving. Here is what it looked like yesterday:

planted 55

I'm not going to show close-ups until the swords grow back - for the third time. I don't think I'll ever get mine big and bushy and beautiful like JP's unless I figure out how to remember to push those tabs in every month...

Vicki

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:40 pm:       

~LOL~. :-)
I have gravel and flourite substrate in this tank its 55 gallon.. do I just get the tabs from the lfs and should they know what I'm talking about if I say root tabs? I've seen some stuff on CO2 tabs is that the same thing or something different and do I need them too? Questions questions :-)
- Herbert Henry Asquith

Steve Wilson
Username: steve_w

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:30 pm:       

I have also been curious to see how those plants work out. I think I almost bought a barclaya plant once, but all of them seemed so small and when in doubt I keep on walking.

Beautiful tank Cindy... So green. My loaches have been eating my compacta swords and until now, I didn't know who was doing it. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I should throw in some veggies for them, since they wiped out my snails... again...

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9331
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:54 pm:       

Root tabs, pushed once a month:
root tabs

But I've been using Pond Tabs since summer instead, since they last about two months instead of one, and I have a longer period of time to forget to ut more in and then see damage:
http://www.aqualys.qc.ca/images/PondTab2.jpg

Vicki

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:04 pm:       

cool thanks.. in a few days I'll get out and look for those
- Herbert Henry Asquith

Vicki

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 06:22 pm:       

I put the tab in a couple of hours ago and call me crazy but I think the plant is already perking up a bit.. like a houseplant thats been watered for the first time in a while you know how you can see the difference right away? Thanks again I think I may stand a fighting chance at this now
- Herbert Henry Asquith

Vicki
Username: newbie258

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 01:58 pm:       

update=
all of the plants feel firmly rooted.. the amazon swords show some awsome growth (about three inches thank you Cindy :-)) the rest seem to be about the same size as when I bought them though the borneo sword may have some growth its hard to tell becaus it grows in a kinda viny way
If at first you don't suceed, try try again.
If that doesn't work call a plumber.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9412
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:39 pm:       

No problem. The only hard part now is remembering to put more in before the damage begins again.

That and paying over 50 cents apiece for them...but that's why I buy the pond tabs now.

Vicki
Username: newbie258

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:24 pm:       

yeah no kidding ~L~
If at first you don't suceed, try try again.
If that doesn't work call a plumber.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * No water gel packed plants       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration