Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * FlyingFish's New Planted Tank Plans       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:58 pm:       

Hey everyone,
My 65G AGA came with a single 36" tube fixture. I want to upgrade because I would like to keep some live plants. Nothing extraordinary. This Phazer IV caught my eye because it looks small and houses 4 bulbs, keeping me around the 2.5 watts per gallon range.

What do you think? I wont be using MH bulbs or anything intense like that for this tank. Is this thing worth the money?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/BLOWOUTF/Class/Aquarium+Products/T1/F38C B+0462+0241/Itemdy00.aspx

Another alternative I was looking at was the AGA triple tube fixture. Nothing special, same thing I have just housing 3 tubes. I just need some insight on this. I do not want to waste money. Thank you.
I surf fish for stripers

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 990
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 08:32 pm:       

I think it's expensive for a t-8 fixture. How much is the AGA fixture? Also, I can't find the wattage or ballast info on the product. How do you know what wattage bulbs it takes?

Here's some other options.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F38AA/Class/Fish+Supplies+Lighting+Fixtu res/T1/F38AA+0047+0850/EDP/36788/Itemdy00.aspx

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F38AA/Class/Fish+Supplies+Lighting+Fixtu res/T1/F38AA+0047+0853/EDP/36791/Itemdy00.aspx
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

flyingfish

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:22 pm:       

those are some good questions. I dont know. But it does say German engineered.LOL. I was planning on filling the 4 bulb fixture with these 40watt tubes I use from my lfs. The packaging says they are for freshwater and planted aquariums and says 18,000K on the top.

Here is the triple AGA
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23881;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Can a single t-8, t-10 bulb be enough for plant life? I didnt think the balast really mattered just the bulb type. I dont have a clue what Im buying and never kept any plants before besides ones Ive tossed in for fish to eat. Thanks for the suggestions on this. I really want to keep a few live plants.
I surf fish for stripers

Erin

Post Number: 991
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 08:10 pm:       

It's debatable. I think that it can be done with careful plant selection but if you want any flexibility you will need more light.

The ballast on the Phazer is electronic. It will run cooler and more efficiently than a magnetic ballast. That being said, I still wouldn't get it. I would make the jump to power compact for that kind of money.

It looks like the 36 inch T-8's are 25 watts each. http://www.all-lass.com/products/lighting/lighting.html

Neither fixture is going to give you a lot of light over your 65. Is the 65 a tall configuration?

flyingfish

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:09 pm:       

Yes it is tall 24"H, I purchased the tank for a mixture of young Apistos and Discus. I dont want to put too much light onto the Discus but I also want live plants. I wont be purchasing either of the original fixtures, thank you.

Now that you have turned me on to the power compacts I took a likeing to this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29623;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Will this be too much light? Is it decent? I like the "nocturnal behavior enhancing" moonlight feature.
I surf fish for stripers

Erin

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:14 am:       

I've never used current's products. Here's some more information on the fixture.

http://www.current-usa.com/products/orbit.html

It doesn't look like a bad choice. You might want to switch the actinic light out at some point though.

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:24 am:       

What`s the length of the tank? Manufacturers usually have no problem selling lights that are quite a bit shorter than the tank. For fish, this is fine, for plants, you`ll get dark corners. I don`t see a 65 being 36 inches long.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Erin

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:40 am:       

It's probably 36 x 18 x 24. Perfecto makes a tank this size and AGA might also.

(Message edited by shay on February 20, 2006)

flyingfish

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 04:37 pm:       

Brad,
It is a 65g AGA, 36x18x24 is correct. Its is just like my 90g but 1' shorter.

Erin,
I am soo glad you didnt say anything horrible about that fixture. Because I ordered it last night based on your recommendation towards power compact type fixtures.

Is switching out the bulbs easy, just replace them with non actinic?

Thanks for your help.
I surf fish for stripers

Erin

Post Number: 995
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 06:48 pm:       

It's easy but not cheap. Make sure that you have the right pin configuration when you order a new bulb. Also, you might want to consider only running one bulb for a while. Two might lead to the need for co2 supplementation.

flyingfish

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:00 pm:       

I think I am catching on because I can understand you. Thanks soo much I didnt know where to start.
I surf fish for stripers

flyingfish

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:52 pm:       

I just received the fixture today.
I will post a picture of it on my website. I ordered a new daylight bulb to replace the actinic.

You had suggested using only one bulb at first because of algae right? I just want to make sure I am clear on this.

Oh, I also ordered a small co2 fermentation type kit. I know I said I wouldnt but after doing some research on co2 and pH I am sold. I assume that the amount of co2 created by this type of kit cant be lethal to my fish. I am staying away from pressurized bottle systems for now until I know what I am doing.
This is my signature

Erin

Post Number: 997
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 02:45 pm:       

My main reason for telling you to start with the one 96 watt bulb was the discus issue.

Increased light can and does encourage algae growth just as it encourages plant growth, however, if there are enough healthy plants in there you should be fine.

(Message edited by shay on February 23, 2006)

flyingfish

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 06:56 pm:       

Doh, OK. Just when I thought I knew something. I thought because I didnt have plants yet I should keep the lighting down, on top of the Discus issue. Since I already bought the lights and co2. I'll probably end up keeping Discus in another aquarium if its going to be a problem.

This fixture is bright,fits better then the OEM fixture. The fan is sorta loud do I have to use the fan? I can disable the fan, should I do it? Any experience with this? What I plan on doing is disabling it and just checking to make sure its not running too hot. Unless its a bad idea.

The Red Sea CO2 Reactor 200 is backordered so I may look for another or just have to wait. I have no clue about co2, those things were cheap so I figured I would give one a shot. I got the Plant Gro Co2 Natural System. I thought I also needed the bubble counter and reactor on top of the kit so I got the Red Sea reactor because its both built into one.

Now I need to pick out some plants :-)
This is my signature

Erin

Post Number: 998
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:27 am:       

I've have not disconnected fans in my fixtures before although I'm sure it can be done. I'd be real careful about monitoring the temperature in the water and of the fixture itself.

flyingfish

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:38 pm:       

OKDOKE,
The fan only runs when both bulbs are on, since I am only running one bulb this seems to work out great. When the new additional daylight bulb comes in I will experiment with disabling the fan and report back with my findings.

I ordered some new plants, before I post the list of what I had ordered I want to make sure everything is in stock. I will post the list next week and then post pics ASAP.

BTW...can you change the name of this post for me? Something to the tune of "New Plant Tank Plans" or whatever. I kinda want this post to be my begining journal into aquatic plant keeping and that name just doesnt suit it well. After I get rolling and off the ground (thanks to badmans & Erin) then I will move the plant journal to my website!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:36 pm:       

WOOOOO!
The Phazer is officially phazed out! TY

Ive been reading about co2 alot lately and think its a good idea to go make good friends with the guy at my local beer distributor. This hobby gets better everyday!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 05:59 pm:       

OK I have evolved. I am now ready for an advanced co2 system. I think....

I want to purchased this:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PR1413&CartID=1

I know I need more stuff....like a co2 tank, reactor and such.

I am thinking I can get away without a pH controller.!>?! Am I correct in thinking I can count the bubbles to correct my co2 dose? Or maybe dose co2 during the day with a timer?

I know the solenoid is useless without a controller of some sort. I will explore that later when I have more money.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Erin

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 06:11 pm:       

Looks like fun. Your solenoid is not useless without a controller. Your solenoid is what you will plug into the timer to turn the co2 off at night. This is how I run my system. Although I have a ph controller I use it as a meter.

flyingfish

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:16 pm:       

You are awesome!
I have a handheld pH meter and it is a nightmare keeping it calibrated and accurate. Its a Milwaukee pH51. Are the pH meters and controllers like the Pinpoint just as bad with the calibrations?

I really like them but dont want to overburden myself with maintenance or rely on a drifting pH controller.

This is really fun!!!
What sold me on co2 was the natural pH thing.

I have the small Discus in the tank now. I havent turned the lights on yet. I am going to turn them back on tomorrow and keep a watchful eye out for any stress. I will note what happens.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 181

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 09:52 am:       

Hi flyingfish,
About disconnecting the fan. I think you will find the the fan is used for when you have actinic light on, they are the ones that get hot enough to need the cooling fan. So once you replace them with daylight tubes you might give disconnecting the fan but I would test that when you are going to be at home so you can check the ficture temp regularly.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Randy

Post Number: 182

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:10 am:       

Just a comment from someone that has an engineering background,

I think that the designers of these lighting fixtures have a less that average IQ. Here is why I think that:
They use else small fans to exhaust the heat be sucking the hot air through the fan. How long do you think that these fans are going to last being subjected to that much heat 12 hours a day.

I now have 2 light that use these fans, I plan on turning them around to push cool air into the fixture so the heat will vent out the other side and on the top slots.

flyingfish

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 01:19 pm:       

My fan is an intake fan, it is on the left side of the fixture(for reference). It sucks air in from the left and pushes it through to an exhaust hole on the right. I am experimenting now on the temp issue. Its raising the temp of my water as it is so I dont think I am going to disable it. Its not that loud after all

How are you doing with Discus and intense lights?
I still havent turned my lights on yet. Last night I turned on the room light and maybe tonight the tank light. They are still getting used to the tank.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 183

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 03:35 pm:       

I never gave it a thought. I have 2 130 watt lights over that tank. I don't usualy have both on, I alternate front/back during the day so all plants get plenty of light. The Discus don't seem to mind at all.

flyingfish

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 04:03 pm:       

Sweeet!
Ive been reading conflicting statements that go as far as saying Discus belong in a bare tank with no lights to a fully planted tank with metal halides!!! LOL its making me go bonkers.

I couldnt imagine not having that big rock in my tank that all the Discus swim to and hide behind together. Or not having the plants that the smaller Discus are hiding in.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:07 pm:       

Update!!
co2 parts ordered I cant wait!!!
I sold out and got this fancy reactor instead of DIY, shame on me. I simply dont know enough yet.
I also ordered some plants! Heh why not!!!

Tank light(only 1 bulb for today) is turned on, the Discus are schooling!!!
WOOOHOOO! TIME FOR PICTURES!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:16 pm:       

If you read my first post it says "Nothing Extraordinary" well that changed ina jiffy!!

I am guilty of the dreaded cross posting or double posting. I have another thread where I started asking for plant sources online and began posting reviews after purchasing. Well it has sort began to mishmash into one.

Well, you can see the plants I have listed on my website or in that other post. I will try to keep things seperated and close to the point of each threads title.

Thank you Erin soo much for your help. I couldnt have done it without you.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:59 pm:       

Well...I got my co2 system today, well at least what thought I needed.

I got my co2 bottle from the local beer distributor. It was recently filled according to the date tag on the bottle. It was $65 for the tank and $11 on a refill.

I walked in with the co2 bottle a few moments ago and my wife said "oh my god hon, is that thing going to explode?" I said only if someone punctures it. I am correct in saying that right?

What are the possible disasters I could be looking at here? Holy cow did I bite off more then I can chew?

OK I am a bit nervous now that I am looking at this bottle sorry for the drama.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:35 pm:       

OK drama is over, buddy that keeps a keg stopped by and calmed my uneasiness.

I posted a picture of my co2 goodies.
I am a little hesitant to post pics of my aquascaping because its lousy looking. I will move things around a post when I it think looks good.

Can I use normal airline & tubing for this co2 system?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Erin

Post Number: 1035

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:54 pm:       

Glad to hear it. CO2 can be daunting at first but it becomes less so over time. I would still be cautious with the tank particulalry around children.

Pressurized co2 can make normal airline tubing and chack valves brittle. I have had check valves fall apart after about a year of use. Look for co2 resistant tubing. A good check valve may be a little harder to come by so just keep an eye on the one you have and keep a spare or two.

flyingfish

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:01 am:       

My Current USA Orbit Extreme 48" 130x2watt came today!!!
WITH A FREE TSHIRT AND TWO TIMERS!!
I will be doing work to the 90 gallon tonight!!
The lights and co2 are covered, pressurized system on the 65 and flourish excel in the 90..now to see if my ferts are good and I am set.

I had a serious algae bloom...all different kinds....took care of that last night. Now everything is cleared up..for now.
Luckily it didnt stick to the plants much.... just the glass.
I hooked up my DE filter then cleaned the glass with my magnafloat cleaner.

Planted tanks are contagious!!!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 07:12 pm:       

The light makes quite a difference. I wish I took a picture for before and after. All of the Discus are out right now eating like normal. Heck they look like they can see the food better now and are eating right in the middle of the water column.

I am only running one bulb compared to my dual bulb OEM fixture and its about 10 times brighter. Never mind the actinic.

I do have to swap the bulbs and put the actinic in the rear and the dual daylight in the front. There is a little bit of blinding light peeking out when I have the fixture up on the mounting brackets. The actinic isnt so blinding. I can also set the fixture back a little bit because I am arranging it so the dual daylight bulb is centered atop the tank.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:17 pm:       

OK I have some red plants. They have been growing and seem to grow back green not red. I hope this is lack of co2. I havent hooked up the co2 yet only fermentation. After I cleaned up the algae the next day I saw this.

Foxtail

Thats pearling right? It looks soo much better in person. I cant wait to hook up co2 soo all my plants do this.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:41 am:       

I just set up my pressurized co2!
I used hose clamps on the ends and teflon on the cylinder openings on either ends of the reactor....it doesnt leak.

I am powering my reactor with a Rio 1400 pump but I dont see much restriction from this device and it would work great with a nice canister filter.

BTW the rio 1400 is silent.

Now I will update on co2 lvls and how efficient this thing is or isnt in about a month.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * FlyingFish's New Planted Tank Plans       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration