Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Furtilizer in the substrate       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:01 am:       

Hi,
I want to get some fertilizer in the substrate of my planted Discus tank. I have used these plant fertizer tablets you puss down into the substrate but now I want to try something cheaper. I bought this stuff that recommends adding a small amount of water to some and rolling it into a ball. It is like red clay when wet and very messy. I was thinking I would try mixing up some into a slurry mixture and injecting it into the substrate with a turkey baster.

What do you think.

Randy

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:31 am:       

I think it would be helpful if you at least told us the name of "this stuff" before asking for our opinion.

I'm going to take an educated guess that what you are talking about is actually laterite.

If so, then read the following link.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/latr.htm

Note that laterite does not contain minerals (nutrients) other than iron. You may still need to supplement your plants diet with root tabs containing other nutrients.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Randy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 01:15 pm:       

Hi,
I'll get that information posted tonight when I get home.

Randy

Randy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:52 pm:       

Hi again,
The fertilizer is:
Substrate Gold
Aquarium Laterite Substrate Additive

Has anyone used this stuff?

Randy

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:02 am:       

Plain old laterite. It`s moist though which makes it a little less duty to work with than other brands.

I`m not a big fan of laterite. For that iron to be reduced to hte form plants can use, you need a mature substrate with some organic matter to drop your redox.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/laterama.html#2
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Steve Wilson
Username: steve_w

Post Number: 751
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:47 am:       

I'd have to agree with Brad. I've used laterite, flourite, sand, gravel, dirt, peat, and even coal. None of these substrates do anything good until they're established and full of mulm and detritus. If you have gravel and the organic waste is able to fall down into the gravel, just let it alone, it will do exactly what you want. those fertilizer balls/tabs are really only effective with sword plants and other really heavy root feeders. It is a great option for those who want to have a project going, but the benefits are not grand enough for me to bother.

Fertilizing a discus tank can be challenging. I know mine do not react well if I add my ferts to the water column, so I just feed twice a day and that takes care of feeding my plants. Of course I do a weekly 50% water change without gravel vac.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Furtilizer in the substrate       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration